Topic – Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
5) Agriculture has a huge role to play in helping India deal with its water woes. Examine.
Why this question
As India urbanizes, population increases, effects of climate change become more prominent, water issues in India is bound to become more severe. Thus efficiency of water use in water intensive sector like agriculture will go a long way in ensuring water security for India.
Key demand of the question
The focus of the question is on bringing out how agriculture can impact water shortage and how efficiency in water use in agriculture will improve the overall water situation in the country.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Bring out the magnitude of water scarcity that India faces and establish that agriculture is a major contributor to the water issue in India.
- Bring out the major issues in this issue
- Question of water productivity
- Issue of geographical distribution of major crops
- Efficiency of irrigation methods – bring out issues like evaporation losses in canal irrigation etc
- Subsidies provided for withdrawal of ground water from motorized pumps
- Inter state water disputes – linkage to agriculture
- Discuss the way forward
Conclusion – bring out the issue of acute water shortage and the need for quick intervention to safeguard our future.