7) Discuss the significance of Indian philosophy in the history of philosophy.
- April 18, 2018
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: INSIGHTS
Topic:Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world
7) Discuss the significance of Indian philosophy in the history of philosophy. (150 Words)
Why this question
Indian philosophy has a rich history and occupies a unique place in the realm of philosophy of the world. It had many similarities as well as some marked differences from its western counterpart. Indian philosophy influenced and was in turn influenced by western philosophy. The question is related to GS-4 syllabus under the following heading- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
Key demand of the question.
The question us to write in detail about how and to what extent Indian philosophy shaped and was in turn shaped by the western philosophy.
Discuss- we have to dig deep into the issue and bring out facts/ arguments in favour of our propositions.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- bring out the most important differences between Indian and western philosophy in 2-3 lines.
Body- discuss how Indian philosophy influenced western philosophy and the field of philosophy in general. E.g.
- vedic hymns lead to deep cosmological concepts, Upanishads and their discussions enhanced our understanding about nature, life, mind, the human body, ethics and social philosophy;
- the relation of realism to idealism;
- the problem of whether universals or relations are basic; and
- the very important problem of moksha, or liberation.
In the other part, briefly discuss how Indian philosophy was influenced by western philosophy.
Conclusion- present a balanced and unbiased conclusion of the above discussion in 1-2 lines.