Topic: Irrigation; Cropping pattern
5) India’s water crisis demands that paddy cultivation requires several checks and balances. Discuss in light of the Kashmir government’s directive to its paddy farmers. (250 Words)
Why this question
Climate change and water scarcity are huge risks for agriculture and food security. Just like we are in need of guidelines to deal with pollution, similarly we need guidelines to deal with the situation of food scarcity. In this light, the water crisis in Kashmir and the subsequent government’s directive presents an opportunity to analyze ways to deal with this situation in a transparent and consistent manner.
Key demand of the question
The question wants us to examine whether there is a need to come out with specific regulations to address the problem of cultivating paddy in water deficient states. The question wants us to address the following points:
- Details of India’s water crisis
- Why paddy is specifically mentioned
- What kind of checks and balances need to be put up for paddy cultivation
- Efficacy of government’s measures so far to deal with the situation
Discuss – The various aspects of this issue needs to be brought out as discussed above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – The Kashmir issue needs to be highlighted. Similarly bring out the problem with paddy cultivation in India and why this issue deserves attention.
Body – Start with explaining the water crisis situation in India and the reason why paddy accelerates this problem. Then talk about the checks and balances reqd such as growing less water intensive varieties, MSP adjustment etc. Thereafter talk about the various government measures to deal with this including the directive. Analyze the pros and cons of directive issued by JnK government.
Conclusion – End with highlighting the gravity of the situation and the way forward.