Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
PRELIMS BOOSTERS 2018
Indian roller (Indian blue roller, northern roller and southern blue roller) and BirdLife International
Indian roller (Indian blue roller, northern roller and southern blue roller)
- Least Concern (LC) — IUCN Red List
- Neelkant — throat and upper breast are purple in color
- state bird of Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Karnataka and Telangana
- Range — widely across tropical Asia from Iraq eastward across the Indian Subcontinentto Indochina
- Best known for the aerobatic displays of the male during the breeding season
- Habitat — lowland regions below 1,200 metres, and prefers open cultivated areas or light deciduous forest
- Cultural significance:
- Said to be sacred to Vishnu – hence caught and released during festivals such as Dusseraor the last day of Durga Puja.
- The Adding its chopped feathers to grass and feeding them to cows was believed to increase their milk yield
- Former name — International Council for Bird Preservation
- Formation — 1922
- Type – INGO ( international not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation)
- Headquarters — Cambridge, United Kingdom
- global partnership of conservation organisations that strives to conserve birds, their habitats and global biodiversity, working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources
- It is the world’s largest partnership of conservation organisations,
- Official listing authority for birds for the World Conservation Union’s Red List of threatened species
- Regional work: BirdLife International has conservation work programmes in the following parts of the world, which it describes as “regions” – Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Central Asia, the Middle East and the Pacific
- BirdLife partnership has 6 Regional BirdLife Coordination Offices throughout the world and a Global Office in Cambridge, UK – together known as “The BirdLife International Secretariat”. The Secretariat co-ordinate and facilitate the BirdLife International strategies, programmers and policies.
- Important Bird and Biodiversity Area(IBA) –area identified using an internationally agreed set of criteria as being globally important for the conservation of bird populations. Criteria are
- A1. Globally threatened species — hold a population of a species categorized by the IUCN Red List as Critically Endangered, Endangered or Vulnerable.
- A2. Restricted-range specie
- A3. Biome-restricted species — adequate representation of all species restricted to a given biome, both across the biome as a whole and for all of its species in each range state.
- A4. Congregation