All India Radio News Summary: 12 APRIL 2018
- April 13, 2018
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: All India Radio Spotlight
All India Radio News Summary: 12 APRIL 2018
- Prime Minister says Defence Innovation Hubs will be established throughout the country to provide infrastructure support to start-ups in the defence sector.
The government has launched an ‘Innovation for Defence Excellence’ scheme” under which ‘Defence Innovation Hubs’ will be set up throughout the country to provide necessary incubation and infrastructure support to start-ups in the defence sector.
Prime Minister inaugurated the tenth edition of the Defence Expo at Thiruvidanthai near Chennai.
Highlights of PM speech at Defence Expo :
- India’s commitment to peace is just as strong as its commitment to protecting the country’s territory.
- He asserted that his government is ready to take all necessary measures to equip the armed forces to bolster their strength.
- Thousands of years of history of India show that we have never desired any one’s territory.
- India has believed in winning hearts. Our commitment to peace is just as strong as our commitment to protect our people and our territory.
- There was a time when, like many other aspects of governance, the critical issue of defence preparedness was also hampered by policy paralysis.
- Lauding the contribution of the small and medium sector to defence production which has grown by 200% in the last 4 years, the Prime Minister said government is committed to establish two defence industrial corridors, in Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- These defence industrial corridors will utilize the existing defence manufacturing ecosystems in these regions, and further build upon it.
- These corridors will become the engines of economic development and growth of defence industrial base in the country.
- The Standard Operating Procedure for issue of export authorizations has been simplified and put in the public domain.
The idea of promoting India as a defence manufacturing hub is finding its first realisation in this defence expo where you have many Indian participants already showcasing what they produce.
- Home Minister said social and religious groups, including NGOs and women’s organizations, must be actively involved in de-radicalization efforts.
Chairing the 21st Meeting of the Governing Council of the National Foundation for Communal Harmony in New Delhi, Home minister said, despite being the second most populous country, India has been negligibly affected by radicalization.
- The credit for this goes to the minorities and their religious leaders and the composite culture and traditions of the country.
- He also said that the social and religious groups, including NGOs and women’s organizations, must be actively involved in de-radicalization efforts.
- ISRO launches navigation satellite IRNSS-1L from Sriharikota.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation launched the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System-1I, from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- The satellite has been successfully placed in the designated orbit.
- IRNSS-1I is expected to replace IRNSS-1A, the first of the seven navigation satellites that was rendered ineffective after its three rubidium atomic clocks failed.
- The seven satellites are part of the NavIC navigation satellite constellation.
- The launch is ISRO’s second attempt at sending a replacement satellite.
- India and Zambia have reiterated their commitment to increasing trade and Commerce between two countries.
President of India and his Zambian counterpart jointly chaired a business forum meeting in Lusaka.
- The theme of the forum was Zambia – India Advancing New Frontiers.
- Over two hundred business communities of the two countries exchanged their views for further strengthening in various sectors including Health, Energy, Agriculture, Business, Infrastructure, capacity building and Information and technology.
- Private investment in Zambia by Indian companies currently stands at over 5 Billion US dollars in sectors such as mining, infrastructure, manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.
- There has been a steady increase in bilateral trade stands at 1.2 billion US dollars.
- There is a lot that “Smart India” and “Digital India” can share the Indian growth story and Zambian economic strengths should support and build on each other.
- 25 Taliban terrorists, 15 security force personnel and three officers killed in an attack on a government compound in Afghanistan.
In Afghanistan, 25 Taliban terrorists and 18 others, including 15 security force personnel were killed in an attack on a government compound in Ghazni province.
- The attackers stormed the compound in Khuja Omari district, setting off hours of fighting with the security forces.
- The District governor, intelligence service Director and a Deputy Police official were killed in the attack, along with 15 security personnel.
- The attackers planted mines to stop reinforcements from coming to help the government forces fend off the attack