7) “Treat others as you would have others treat you”. Critically analyse the given golden rule of reciprocity.
- April 13, 2018
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: INSIGHTS
Topic: Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators
7) “Treat others as you would have others treat you”. Critically analyse the given golden rule of reciprocity. (150 Words)
Why this question
- The golden rule or the law of reciprocity is central to many world religions and has varied philosophical interpretations. The question will help you in critically analysing similar statements/ quotations which is an important aspect of ethics paper. The question is related to GS-4 syllabus under the following heading;
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators and also
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
Key demand of the question
The question wants us to examine both sides of the debate over the given statement. It wants us to argue in favour of and against the given statement and then form a personal opinion.
Critically analyze- we have two analyse all the aspects of the given quotation and express our arguments in its favour and against it. Based on those arguments we have form and present our personal opinion and interpretation.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- introduce your answer by mentioning further about the quotation and highlight its source and importance as an ethical question.
Body- Divide the body into two parts. In one part, present arguments in favour of it.
In second part, present arguments against it and other related but opposing philosophies, if any.
Conclusion- you can conclude your answer by drawing up a conclusion of the above analysis and presenting your personal opinion on the question