6) Public outrage over crimes against women have a very short memory which represents a lack of empathy. This apathy is why crimes against women continue unabated. Discuss.
- April 12, 2018
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: INSIGHTS
Topic: Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion
6) Public outrage over crimes against women have a very short memory which represents a lack of empathy. This apathy is why crimes against women continue unabated. Discuss. (150 Words)
Why this question
Crimes against women are quite usual in Indian society. Past experience suggests that public memory in case of crimes against women is very short. Recent SC Court judgment in Rajesh Sharma and ors vs State of UP has diluted Section 498A which means that even legal safeguards for crimes against women are under threat. In this background, this case should strike the collective conscience of our society and make us ask pertinent questions for improving women safety.
Key demand of the question
The question basically demands us to address the reason why despite momentary uproar in cases of crimes against women, such crimes continue unabated. In our discussion, we have to bring out the reasons why attitude of society towards women continues to be dismissive, why laws are unable to provide adequate safety to women, the lacuna in laws etc. We also need to address the question of public morality and collective consciousness, whether they are by design transitory in nature and whether they are strong determinant of ethics.
Discuss – We need to bring out the various facets of the discussion as highlighted above
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Present the sorry state of affairs when it comes to crimes against women.
Body : First part
- Discuss the nature of public morality and collective consciousness
- Discuss whether they are transitory by their very nature or represent a lack of empathy
- Answer whether its only public apathy which is responsible for crimes against women. Here bring out the various reasons behind such crimes
- Bring out the fact that the reason behind public apathy is rooted in various systemic factors like patriarchy which needs to be addressed first
Bring out the fact that women constitute half of society, and society can’t progress until women do. Hence its necessary for such events to strike at the heart of society’s conscience such that people clamour for change.