All India Radio News Summary: 10 APRIL 2018
- April 11, 2018
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: All India Radio Spotlight
All India Radio News Summary: 10 APRIL 2018
- Special Composite Group (SCG) complex of the NSG at Ibrahimpatnam near Hyderabad
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the 28 Special Composite Group (SCG) complex of the NSG at Ibrahimpatnam near Hyderabad.
- The regional hub of the NSG will take care of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Chattisgarh and Odisha states.
- Aiming at reducing the response time, the NSG has set up 4 regional hubs at Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkatta and Hyderabad.
- Built at cost of over 157 crore rupees, the green campus of the 28 SCG complex has been constructed on a sprawling 200 acre area.
- Facebook Chief Mark Zuckerberg to testify before US senators today on the recent data-privacy scandal
- In the United States, Facebook Chief Mark Zuckerberg will testify before the senators and a House panel, on the company’s recent data-privacy scandal.
- He will be asked about how 87 million Facebook users’ data was improperly shared with a political consultancy, Cambridge Analytica.
- Zuckerberg could also face questions about ads and posts placed by Russian operatives, in what US authorities believe, were an attempt to influence the 2016 Presidential elections.
- Ahead of his first Congressional appearance, the Facebook Chief accepted the responsibility for the social network’s failure to protect private data and prevent manipulation of the platform.
- In his written testimony Zuckerberg said, Facebook did not take a broad enough view of its responsibility and that was a big mistake.
- NITI Aayog’s Forum for the North East meets in Agartala to discuss ways to accelerate development in the region.
- The first meeting of NITI Forum for North East- a unit of NITI Aayog took place at Agartala in Tripura.
- The meeting was inaugurated by Minister for Development of North East Region (DoNER) and Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog.
- Launching of NITI Aayog Forum for North East offers opportunity for healthy synergy between ministry of Northeast, Northeastern council and NITI Aayog.
- Amendment in Indian Forest Act for Bamboo, 100 percent central funding of North Eastern projects, North East Tourism Development Council etc. have been taken by the current government.
- Employee Pension Scheme (EPS) pensioners now can submit life certificate without Aadhaar or even if Aadhaar fingerprint authentication fails.
- The pensioners had been facing problems in submitting Jeevan Pramaan or life certificate digitally and non-submission of life certificate would have led to stoppage of their pension.
- The EPFO has issued instructions to banks and post offices directing them to provide alternative mechanisms.
- China has filed a complaint with the World Trade Organisation, WTO, challenging US President’s tariff hike on imported steel and aluminum
- The trade body said that China has requested 60 days of consultations with the US on the steel and aluminium dispute.
- If that fails, the next step could be for Beijing to request a ruling from a panel of trade experts.
- Beijing says Trump’s decision to impose additional duties of 25 per cent on steel and 10 per cent aluminium violate international trade rules.
- Prime Minister interacts with over 100 MUDRA beneficiaries from across the country
Launched in 2015, Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana PMMY has been one of the flagship initiatives of the Government to promote entrepreneurship spirit among the youth by providing easy loans without guarantees.
- Prime Minister said, three years ago Mudra Yojana was launched to give wings to the aspirations of the citizens and harness the entrepreneurial energy among the youth.
- Prime Minister said he is delighted to see how Mudra Yojana has brought prosperity in the lives of many.
- A substantial number of Mudra beneficiaries are women and youngsters from the SC, ST and OBC communities, which is extremely heartening.
- The scheme was launched to promote and ensure access of financial facilities to Non Corporate Small Business Sector.
- Prime Minister inaugurates 16th International Energy Forum Ministerial Meeting in New Delhi.
It is the largest gathering of Ministers from energy consuming, producing and transit countries.
- Ministers, Industry leaders and heads of key international organizations will debate the future of global energy.
- Ministers and Representatives from around 90 countries like US, China, Japan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, UAE, Qatar, and Nigeria will attend the meeting.
- Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas will represent India in the meet.
- Executive Director of International Energy Forum, Secretary General of OPEC and heads and senior officials from international organizations like CNPC, Total, VOPAK, Exxon Mobil will also attend the event.
- Hosted by India and co-hosted by China and Korea, the meeting aims to focus on how global shifts, transition policies and new technologies influence market stability and future investment in the energy sector.
- International Energy Forum covers all six continents and accounts for around 90 per cent of global supply and demand for oil and gas.
- Finance Minister denies any bias against some states in Terms of Reference of the 15th Finance Commission
- Finance Minister said, there is no inherent bias or mandate in the Terms of Reference of the 15th Finance Commission, which can be construed as discriminatory against the States.
- He was responding to concerns expressed by Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh as well as the Union Territory of Puducherry over the Terms of reference of the Commission.
- FM said, the Commission’s terms of reference rightly balance both the needs represented by latest population and progress towards population control very well.
- President asked Indian diaspora in Zambia to become partner in India’s growth and asked them to take advantage of Overseas Citizen of India programme.
- Four MOUs will be signed between the two countries which includes, establishment of Entrepreneurship Development Institute in Zambia, taxation, visa exemption on diplomatic passports and judicial cooperation.
- The President is scheduled to address India-Zambia business forum.
- Private investment in Zambia by Indian companies currently stands at over 5 Billion US dollars in sectors such as mining, infrastructure, manufacturing and pharmaceuticals.
- There has been a steady increase in bilateral trade during last 10 months which stands at 1.2 billion US dollars.
- UN Security Council rejects Russian resolution on investigating the use of chemical weapons in Syria.
UN Security Council has rejected a Russian-drafted resolution on investigating chemical weapons use in Syria after Moscow vetoed a competing US-proposed measure.
Six countries including China and Russia backed the measure, while seven nations voted against. Two countries abstained from the voting.
A draft resolution requires nine votes to be adopted in the 15-member Council and no Veto from the five permanent members — Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.