6) There is a clear public disenchantment with anti-corruption mechanisms. Critically analyse in the light of dramatic drop in the total number of complaints received by CVC in 2017.
- April 11, 2018
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: INSIGHTS
Topic: Challenges of corruption
6) There is a clear public disenchantment with anti-corruption mechanisms. Critically analyse in the light of dramatic drop in the total number of complaints received by CVC in 2017. (150 Words)
Why this question
Corruption is an endemic problem in India despite a plethora of laws and mechanisms put in place to check it. CVC, which is the apex vigilance institution, free of control from any executive authority, monitoring all vigilance activity under the Central Government and advising various authorities in Central Government organizations in planning, executing, reviewing and reforming their vigilance work, recently witnessed a sharp decline in corruption related complaints. This is a paradox in itself, given the level of corruption in our country. Thus it is important for UPSC exam and the issue is related to GS- 4 syllabus;
Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption. Case Studies on above issues.
Key demand of the question
- The question wants us to analyse the reasons behind sharp decline in number or corruption related complaints received by CVC. Then we have to form an opinion on whether public disenchantment with anti-corruption mechanisms is its main cause.
Critically analyse- We have to form a personal opinion based on an in-depth discussion of possible causes behind drop in number of complaints received.
Structure of the answer
Introduction- in the introduction, mention the role of CVC in tackling corruption in India.
Body- Divide the body into two parts. In one part, describe in points, possible causes behind decline in number of complaints received by CVC. in the other part, analyse the role of public disenchantment with anti-corruption mechanisms vis a vis other causes and then form a personal opinion.
In the conclusion you can mention a few innovative solutions to prevent corruption in public services.
- Next story 7) “Courage is knowing what not to fear”. Critically analyse.
- Previous story 5) Despite a number of on-going schemes for agriculture, doubling farmers’ income remains a distant dream. Discuss the steps taken by government for doubling farmers’ income and furthermore what needs to be done to realize the vision