All India Radio News Summary: 26 MARCH 2018
- The 11th meeting of India and China Joint Group on Economic relations, trade, science and technology was held in New Delhi
- Commerce and Industry Minister and his Chinese counterpart took part in the meeting that deliberated upon ways to boost trade and reduce trade deficit.
- The meeting assumed significance as India has time and again raised the issue of heavy trade imbalance with China and sought steps to facilitate Indian exports in areas including pharmaceutical and agricultural products and information technology services.
- The Supreme Court has issued notices to the Centre and the Law Commission on petitions challenging the practices of polygamy and Nikah Halala among the Muslims.
- Polygamy allows a man to have more than one wife while nikah halalais a practice where a Muslim woman divorced by her husband can remarry him only after she marries someone else, consummates the marriage and then gets a divorce.
- The apex court also took note that a previous five-judge bench had kept open issues of polygamy and ‘nikah halala’, while abolishing triple talaq.
- The practice of triple talaq was declared unconstitutional last year by this bench after prolonged debate.
- Facebook co-founder and CEO has apologized for a data privacy scandal
Facebook co-founder and chief executive officer, Mark Zuckerberg has apologized for a data privacy scandal.
- He said, the incident is a breach of trust.
- Apologizing that Facebook did not do more at that time, he said, the company is already taking steps to prevent similar problems.
- British-based firm Cambridge Analytica allegedly gained unauthorized access to the personal data of over 50 million Facebook users.
- Information on personal preferences and behavioral patterns was reportedly used for Donald Trump’s campaign to become US President.
- The Assam government started construction of one lakh toilets
- The Assam government started construction of one lakh toilets today across the state under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The toilets will be completed in 10 days.
- The Assam government has planned to make the state ODF within this year. 5 districts have already been declared free from open defecation.