All India Radio News Summary: 16 MARCH 2018
- 105th session of the Indian Science Congress at Manipur University, Imphal
Highlights of PM speech:
- Scientists need to extend their research from “the labs to the land” for the greater benefit of the people.
- The time was ripe to redefine ‘R&D’ as research for development of the nation.
- Science after all but a means to a far greater end of a making difference in the lives of others of furthering human progress and welfare.
- Scientific social responsibility is the need of the hour.
- The scientific community around the world should co-operate closely to bring about effective solution to big problems of science and technology.
- Scientists should develop a mechanism for interaction with school-children.
- PM said to all the scientists to spend 100 hours every year with 100 students of classes 10th, 11th and 12th, discussing various aspects of science and technology.
- Sought whole hearted contribution from every individual of the country to make a New India by the 2022.
- The theme of this year’s edition of the Science Congress is “Reaching the Unreached through Science and Technology.”
- The Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly yesterday passed the Arunachal Pradesh Panchayati Raj (Amendment) Bill 2018.
- Now the state will have two-tier Panchayati Raj System.
- The 73rd amendment of the constitution allows states having a population of less than 20 lakh to have a two tier Panchayati Raj system, instead of a three.
- Arunachal Pradesh has population of around 14 lakh only.
- The three-day annual Krishi Unnati Mela began in New Delhi
The focus of event is on doubling farmers’ income.
- The objective of the event is to create awareness among farmers about the latest agriculture-related technological developments.
- PM will inaugurate the Jaivik Kheti portal and lay the foundation stone of 25 Krishi Vigyan Kendras.