All India Radio News Summary : 24 FEBRUARY 2018
- BioAsia-2018 in Hyderabad
The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry launched a mega campaign for promoting products closely associated with their geographical origin.
- The campaign aims at promoting local artisans and manufacturers.
- The campaign has been started to give geographical indications for each of certain products which are identified with a particular place like Banaras sarees.
- A Geographical Indication is primarily an agricultural, natural or a manufactured product handicrafts and industrial goods originating from a definite geographical territory.
- Aruna Budda Reddy becomes first Indian to win an individual medal at Gymnastics World Cup
- Aruna Budda Reddy created history by becoming the first Indian to win an individual medal at the Gymnastics World Cup.
- She clinched a Bronze in the Women’s Vault event in Melbourne.
- Aruna, who hails from Hyderabad, scored 13.649 average points to finish third and claim her first international medal.
- Authorities issue avalanche warning for high-altitude areas of Jammu and Kashmir;
Authorities in Jammu and Kashmir have issued a low danger avalanche warning for high-altitude areas in the state, including the Jammu-Srinagar national highway, and advised people to take precautionary measures.
- On the basis of information received from Snow & Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), low danger avalanche warning has been issued for various high-altitude areas.
- In Himachal Pradesh, the higher reaches are experiencing light snowfall while rain continues in other parts.
- The met office has issued warning of heavy snowfall at isolated places in higher reaches and rains and hailstorm in mid hills during next 24 hrs.
- PM launched Tamil Nadu Government’s Amma Two-Wheeler Scheme
Prime Minister launched the ambitious Amma Two-Wheeler Scheme in Chennai, on the birth anniversary of late Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
The scheme aims at providing 50 per cent subsidy to working women and Divyangs to buy two-wheelers.
Under the scheme, over a lakh women can buy two wheeler with the state government’s subsidy of fifty percent subject to the ceiling of 25-thousand rupees.
- Seventh meeting of Eminent Persons Group (EPG) on Nepal-India relations has begun in Kathmandu.
- Representatives from Nepal and India will deliberate up on various bilateral issues including 1950 Peace and Friendship treaty, trade, transit and border during two day meeting.
- Preliminary draft of a report on security, water resources, trade and cultural ties between the two countries is being prepared.
- The EPG is a joint mechanism consisting experts and intellectuals from India and Nepal.