[Insights Secure – 2018] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 01 February 2018
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1
Topic: Urbanisation; Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
1) India’s industrialization and urbanization did grow together in the early 1990s. However, in the past decade, share of manufacturing has declined in urban areas and has increased in rural areas. Analyse the causes and consequences of this trend. (250 Words)
Topic: Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
2) India has slipped to 42nd place from 32nd on the Economist Intelligence Unit‘s annual Global Democracy Index and remains classified among “flawed democracies”. Examine on what basis this index is created and why has India slipped in its ranking. (150 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3) How is India’s Aadhaar different from America’s Social Security Number (SSN)? Do you think going forward Aadhaar will help in better implementation of welfare schemes and administration of subsidies? Comment. (250 Words)
Topic: Functioning of judiciary
4) In India, ehe process of removing a judge – if found guilty of corruption or judicial impropriety – is too elaborate and somewhat cumbersome. Comment on the existing procedure and suggest reforms. (250 Words)
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure,
5) It is argued that to resolve inter-state river disputes a right, credible and institutionalised practices for enabling inter-State mediation, coordination and cooperation is needed. Comment on the existing policy and elaborate the statement. (250 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
6) Increasing the household savings rate and nudging savers to park their surpluses in financial assets have always been high on the agenda of Indian Finance Ministers however with little success. Suggest ideas to encourage citizens to park their money in financial assets. (250 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.