[Insights Secure – 2018] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 29 January 2018
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1
Topic: Urbanisation – problems and remedies
1) Indian cities are growing at rapid rates but without regard to quality of civic life and regard for lives of urban poor. What approaches would you suggest to revitalise Indian cities to make them more inclusive and enabling? Analyse. (250 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States,
2) Indian elections are the world’s biggest exercise in democracy but also among the most expensive which is mostly funded by private entities. Discuss the options that India can explore to minimise private funding while examining the shortcomings of electoral bonds. (250 Words)
Topic: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
3) What do you understand by the statement that the Constitution is a living document? Why calling the Constitution as a living document gains significance in the present social and political scenario? Critically comment. (250 Words)
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections.
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
5) One of the central problems in India’s healthcare system has been the low levels of public spending on health. Critically examine why public spending on health remains low despite poor health indicators. Also comment why the issue needs to be addressed immediately. (250 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Environmental pollution
Topic: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
7) It is said that the strides that are being made in the areas of machine learning, image processing, and natural language processing are on a scale that resembles the moon landing. Discuss the implications of these technologies for racism, gender biases and other forms of discrimination. (150 Words)
General Studies – 4