Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
All India Radio News Summary: 17 JANUARY 2018
- Prime Minister and his Israeli counterpart inaugurate i-Create Centre near Ahmedabad in Gujarat
PM and his Israeli counterpart visited the International Centre for Entrepreneurship and Technology (iCreate) at Devdholera in Ahmedabad.
- i-Create was launched in 2011. The institution mentors budding entrepreneurs and guides them to launch start-ups.
- There are about 45 stalls showcasing start-up projects at i-Create campus.
- i-Create is an independent Centre created with the objective of facilitating entrepreneurship.
- It aims to develop an ecosystem in India to generate quality entrepreneurs through a blend of creativity, innovation, engineering, product design and emerging technologies to deal with major issues such as food security, water, connectivity, cyber security, IT and electronics, energy, bio-medical equipment and devices.
- Raisina Dialogue — 2018
Raisina Dialogue is a multilateral conference committed to addressing the most challenging issues facing the global community. Every year, global leaders in policy, business, media and civil society are hosted in New Delhi to discuss cooperation on a wide range of pertinent international policy matters.
The Dialogue is structured as a multi-stakeholder, cross-sectoral discussion, involving heads of state, cabinet ministers and local government officials, as well as major private sector executives, members of the media and academics.
The conference is hosted in collaboration with the Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs.
- Government lowers the additional borrowing requirement for the current fiscal to 20,000 crore rupees from the earlier estimate of 50,000 crore, to contain fiscal deficit.
The government lowered the additional borrowing requirement for the current fiscal to 20,000 crore rupees from the earlier estimate of 50,000 crore rupees. The reduced borrowing is likely to help contain fiscal deficit within the target.
- The Government has reassessed additional borrowing requirements taking note of revenue receipts and expenditure pattern.
- Last month, after consultation with the RBI, the government had said that it would make additional borrowing of 50,000 crore rupees this fiscal through dated securities.
- However, there will be no change in the net borrowings as envisaged in the Budget for 2017-18.
- A 20-nation meeting on North Korea has agreed to consider imposing unilateral sanctions on Pyongyang that go beyond those required by U.N. Security Council resolutions
The meeting was co-hosted by the United States and Canada in Vancouver to discuss ways of forcing North Korea to give up its nuclear arms.
In a joint statement, the US and Canada said participants agree to consider and take steps to impose unilateral sanctions and stimulate diplomatic actions that go beyond those required by U.N. Security Council resolutions.
Meanwhile the Vice ministers from North and South Korea met to discuss the North’s participation in the PyeongChang Winter Olympics.
- United States and the United Nations today insisted on safe and voluntary return of Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh to Myanmar
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres also insisted on safe and voluntary return of Rohingya refugees.
- Over 6.5 lakh Myanmar’s Muslim minority fled across the border to Bangladesh since the Myanmar army launched a crackdown on Rohingya rebels in northern Rakhine state in August last year.
- Though Myanmar authorities said that the campaign was aimed at rooting out Rohingya militants who attacked police posts on 25th August but the UN and the US have said the violence amounts to ethnic cleansing.
- Myanmar and Bangladesh have reached a deal on the return of hundreds of thousands of Muslim Rohingyas that sidelined the UN refugee agency.
- According to the agreement, which was finalised in Myanmar’s capital Naypyidaw this week, a two-year deadline has been set for the repatriation of the Rohingya.