All India Radio News Summary: 26 DECEMBER 2017
- December 27, 2017
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: All India Radio Spotlight
All India Radio News Summary: 26 DECEMBER 2017
- UP government has launched a free household power connection scheme ‘Prakash hai to vikas hai’
The Uttar Pradesh government has launched a free household power connection scheme ‘Prakash hai to vikas hai’ for the poor in the state.
- Initially two villages Lohban and Gausana of Mathura district have been covered for 100 per cent electrification.
- Under the scheme the government will cover 16 million households by the end of next year.
- As against the target of 4 crore under Prime Minister’s Saubhagya scheme, the state so far has provided 25 lakh household connections.
Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana –“Saubhagya”
This new scheme was launched by the Prime Minister to ensure electrification of all willing households in the country in rural as well as urban areas.
The objective of the ‘Saubhagya’ is to provide energy access to all by last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining un-electrified households in rural as well as urban areas to achieve universal household electrification in the country.
Highlights of the scheme:
- Poor households would be provided electricity connections free of cost.
- Other households would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme on payment of Rs.500 only which shall be recovered by the DISCOMs/Power Departments in ten (10) instalments along with electricity bills.
- There is no provision in the scheme to provide free power to any category of consumers.
How is it different from ‘24×7 Power For All’ programme:
- ‘24×7 Power for All’ is a joint initiative with the states covering all segments of power sector i.e. Power generation, transmission and distribution, energy efficiency, health of Discom etc. to finalise State/UT specific roadmap and action plan to ensure 24×7 power for all in consultation with States/UTs.
- The Power for All documents contains details of various interventions required across the value chain of power sector.
- Providing connectivity to all households is a prerequisite to ensure 24×7 power supply.
- Saubhagya is a schematic support to address the issue of energy access.
DDUGJY for rural areas and IPDS in urban areas are already under implementation- then what is the need for a new scheme?
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) envisage creation of basic electricity infrastructure in villages / habitations, strengthening & augmentation of existing infrastructure, metering of existing feeders / distribution transformers / consumers to improve quality and reliability of power supply in rural areas.
Besides this, last mile connectivity and free electricity connections are also provided to BPL households only identified by the States as per their list.
However, in villages which are electrified in past for a long period, many households do not have electricity connections for many reasons.
Some of the really poor households do not have BPL cards but these households are not capable of paying applicable initial connection charges.
There is also lack of awareness as to how to get connection or taking connection is not an easy task for illiterate people.
- Similarly in urban areas, Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) provides for creation of necessary infrastructure to provide electricity access but some households are not yet connected mainly on account of their economic condition as they are not capable of paying the initial connection charges.
- Therefore, Soubhagya has been launched to plug such gaps and comprehensively address the issues of entry barrier, last mile connectivity and release of electricity connections to all un-electrified households in rural and urban areas.
- Bauxite mines and alumina refinery scaled a new high and achieved highest ever production
Mines Ministry said, bauxite mines and alumina refinery scaled a new high and achieved highest ever production since inception with bauxite transportation of 68.25 lakh tonnes and Alumina Hydrate production of 21.00 lakh MT in 2016-17.
Auction of concessions for major minerals was done for the first time in the history of mineral administration in the country. 33 blocks were successfully allocated.
- Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs)
NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission has selected additional 1500 Schools for establishment of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs).
- This will give a major boost to realize the vision of the Mission to ‘Cultivate One Million children in India as the Innovators of tomorrow’.
- The Mission is Government of India’s flagship programme to promote innovation and entrepreneurship nationwide in schools, universities and industry.
- The Centre, Tamil Nadu Government and the World Bank today signed a 318 million dollar loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project
The Centre, Tamil Nadu Government and the World Bank today signed a 318 million dollar loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project to promote climate resilient agriculture technologies, improve water management practices, and increase market opportunities for small and marginal farmers.
- About 5 lakh farmers, a majority of them, small and marginal, are expected to benefit from improved and modernized tank irrigation systems.
- The project will rehabilitate and modernize about 4,800 irrigation tanks and 477 check dams, spread across 66 sub-basins, in delivering bulk water to irrigation systems.
- NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR)
- Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO and NASA are jointly working on the development of a satellite.
- The Dual Frequency Synthetic Aperture Radar Imaging Satellite has been named as NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR).
- The satellite will be useful for monitoring of floods and oil slicks and coastal erosion.
- Parliament resumes its session after a recess of four days
Parliament resumed its session after a recess of four days on account of weekly holidays and Christmas. Almost half of the Winter Session is over and a lot of legislative business is pending due to repeated interruptions in the proceedings, particularly in the Rajya Sabha.
- The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill is listed for introduction in the Lok Sabha.
- The Goods and Services Tax (Compensation to States) Amendment Bill, The Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Amendment Bill and The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (Amendment) Bills are scheduled to be taken up for consideration and passing in the Lok Sabha.
- The Indian Forest (Amendment) Bill, 2017, The Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy Bill, 2017 and The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill are listed in the business of Upper House.