All India Radio News Summary: 10 DECEMBER 2017
- December 12, 2017
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: All India Radio Spotlight
All India Radio News Summary: 10 DECEMBER 2017
- Centre will soon issue universal ID cards to persons with disabilities which will be valid throughout India
The Centre will soon issue universal ID cards to persons with disabilities which will be valid throughout India.
At present, an identity card issued by a state is not considered valid in another state, which causes inconvenience to people with disabilities in availing benefits of various government schemes and reservation.
- Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas refuses to meet US Vice President
Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas will refuse to meet US Vice President following Washington’s controversial policy shift on Jerusalem.
Egypt’s Coptic Pope Tawadros II also cancelled a meeting with VP, with the church saying it “declines to receive” him in protest at Trump’s announcement which failed to take into account the “feelings of millions” of Arabs.
There were fresh clashes as Palestinian protesters in the occupied West Bank hurled stones at Israeli troops, who responded with tear gas, rubber bullets and live rounds.
Meanwhile, Arab foreign ministers gathered in the Egyptian capital, Cairo for an emergency meeting designed to formulate a unified response to President Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
- The Arab foreign ministers have urged the United States to abandon its decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, saying the move will increase violence throughout the region. The Council of the Arab League held an extraordinary session on Jerusalem. The session which was called on the behest of Jordan was attended by all its 22 members in Cairo.
- Condemning the US decision on Jerusalem, head of the Arab League said that it was ‘dangerous and unacceptable’ and described it as a ‘flagrant attack on a political solution’ to the Israeli-Palestinian Arab conflict.
- In Indonesia, about 10,000 people today rallied outside the US Embassy in Jakarta in support of Palestinians and denouncing the US’ decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
- Arab Foreign Ministers have called on the United States to rescind its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and for the international community to recognise a Palestinian state.
- Farmers should be given more focus in the country – Vice President
The Vice President said, agriculture is the basic culture of India adding that the electronic National Agriculture Market system, e-NAM, which is being experimented in 40 mandals, should be expanded nationwide to avoid middlemen exploiting farmers.
- He insisted that agriculture should be made a viable and an appealing profession for the next generation.
- He also asked the media to give more importance to agriculture rather than getting drawn towards sensationalism. He also asked research institutions to transfer new technologies to farmers.
- United Nations tells North Korea to keep communication channels open to avoid risk of war.
The United Nations has told North Korea that there is an urgent need to keep communication channels open to avoid the risk of war.
The UN said this in a statement after the visit of its under-secretary-general for political affairs Jeffrey Feltman’s to Pyongyang. This was the first highest-level trip by a UN official to the isolated nation in six years.
- The UN envoy emphasised the need for the implementation of all relevant Security Council resolutions.
- He said, there can only be a diplomatic solution to the situation, achieved through a process of sincere dialogue.
- North Korea said, it has agreed to regular communication with the UN.
Mr Feltman’s visit came after the US and South Korea launched their biggest-ever annual joint air exercises.
- World Human Rights Day – 10th December
On this day in 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted and proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights at the Palais de Chaillot in Paris.
- It is a milestone document that proclaimed the inalienable rights which everyone is inherently entitled to as a human being.
- Drafted by representatives of diverse legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world, the Declaration sets out universal values and a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations.
- It establishes the equal dignity and worth of every person.
- The theme this year is, ‘Let’s stand up for equality, justice and human dignity’.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has urged people and leaders everywhere to stand up for all human rights and for the values that underpin hopes for a fairer, safer and better world.
Vice President of India said that India has been unequivocal in its commitment to preservation and protection of human rights globally as well as within the country.
- The two-day Aadivasi Mahotsav had started in Chhattisgarh capital Raipur
The festival aimed at displaying the rich and diverse tribal traditions of the central state.
- The Aadivasi Mahotsav is being organized in memory of 1857 revolutionary from Chhattisgarh, Shaheed Veernarayan Singh on his martyrdom day.
- During the event, tribal cultural, literature & food festivals, tribal olympiad and hackathon will be held.
- Different folk dances of North-eastern India will be presented by cultural troupes from respective states.
- ASEAN India Connectivity Summit (AICS)
The ASEAN India Connectivity Summit (AICS) will begin in New Delhi.
The theme of the two-day Summit is Powering Digital and Physical Linkages for Asia in the 21st Century.
- The AICS aims at accelerating existing connectivity prospects, identifying issues of concern, evolving suitable policy recommendations and developing strategies to enhance economic, industrial and trade relations between ASEAN and India.
- Its focus areas are Infrastructure, Roadways, Shipping, Digital, Finance, Energy and Aviation.
- In addition, the AICS will be bringing together, policymakers, senior officials from the Government, investors, industry leaders, representatives of trade associations and entrepreneurs on the same platform.
- India retained the bronze medal at the Hockey World League Final tournament
In the third-fourth place classification match at Bhubaneswar, India defeated Germany 2-1.
Meanwhile, Australia have lifted the Hockey World League Final title. In the final today, the defending champions defeated Rio Olympics champions Argentina 2-1.