All India Radio News Summary: 24 November 2017
- November 26, 2017
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: All India Radio Spotlight
All India Radio News Summary: 24 November 2017
- Centre promulgates Indian Forest (Amendment) Ordinance to encourage bamboo cultivation in non-forest areas.
The Cabinet had approved the promulgation of the Ordinance in this regard.
- The ordinance exempts bamboo grown in non-forest areas from the definition of tree, thereby dispensing with the requirement of felling and transit permit for its economic use.
- Bamboo, though, taxonomically a grass, was legally defined as a tree under the Indian Forest Act, 1927.
- Before this amendment, the felling and transit of bamboo grown on forest as well as non-forest land attracted the provisions of the Indian Forest Act and was a major impediment for bamboo cultivation by farmers on non-forest land.
- Bamboo grown in the forest areas shall continue to be governed by the provisions of Indian Forest Act.
- The measure will go a long way in enhancing the agricultural income of farmers and tribal, especially in North-East and Central India.
- Centre asks States to implement Clinical Establishment Act to take effective action against hospitals indulging in unethical practices
The Centre has asked the States to implement Clinical Establishment Act to take effective action against hospitals indulging in fraudulent and unethical practices.
- Recently there was an incident of overcharging for medical treatment by Fortis hospital in Gurugram.
- Widespread adverse coverage of alleged malpractices including exorbitant charges and deficiency in services by various clinical establishments can be seen in the recent past.
- Such incidents have an extremely deleterious impact on the faith of the general public in the healthcare system and there is a need to ensure that such things do not occur and quality healthcare be provided at a fair and affordable price.
- Union Cabinet Secretary will chair the first meeting of the prabhari officers
- The prabhari officers entrusted with the responsibility of rapid transformation of 115 backward districts across the country.
- Among these districts, 35 are affected by Left Wing violence.
- The districts have been identified on the basis of education, health, nutrition, rural road connectivity, electrification, access to potable water and individual toilets.
- Development of backward districts is critical for the development of country as a whole. Transforming districts is necessary to improve socio-economic status of the country.
- Convergence of programmes is need of the hour.
- Prabhari officers are asked to plan in a better way to improve the backward districts.
- Left Wing Extremism affected districts have separate line of funds. Government is ensuring development in LWE prone districts by road construction, improving connectivity and opening schools in the areas. The prabhari officers will reconnect with the districts and the people.
- There is a need to have decisive steps now to deal with left wing extremism.
- Finance ministry has said that there is no proposal to withdraw the bank cheque book facility
The finance ministry said that there is no proposal to withdraw the bank cheque book facility as part of the exercise to promote digital transaction.
The clarification comes in the backdrop of reports that there is a possibility that the central government may withdraw bank cheque book facility in the near future, with an intent to encourage digital transactions.
The ministry further emphasised that while the government is committed to transform India into a less-cash economy and promote digital and electronic transactions through multi-pronged initiatives, cheques are an integral part of the payments landscape, and form the backbone of trade and commerce.
- Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has ordered the review of cases against youth for the period 2015 to 2017
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister has ordered the review of cases against youth for the period 2015 to 2017 by an already existing committee and furnishing of its recommendations within 10 days.
- A Committee which was constituted earlier by the Chief Minister to review the cases against youth for 2008 to 2014 period will also review the cases for the period 2015-2017.
- The Chief Minister described her latest decision as a ray of hope for these young boys and their families terming it as an opportunity for them to rebuild their lives.
- The decision would help in creating a positive and conciliatory atmosphere in the State.
- Pakistan freed Hafiz Saeed, the Chief of the banned terrorist outfit Jamaat- ud- Dawah, JuD
Pakistan has freed Hafiz Saeed, the Chief of the banned terrorist outfit Jamaat- ud- Dawah, JuD and the mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai terror attack from detention.
Sayeed was freed after the government decided against detaining him further in any case. He was under detention since January this year. The JuD head, carries a 10 million US Dollar American bounty for his role in terror activities.
- JuD is believed to be the front organisation for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) which is responsible for carrying out the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 in which 166 people, including six Americans, were killed.
- Saeed was declared a global terrorist by the US and the UN after the Mumbai attacks.
India and the entire international community is outraged that a self-confessed and UN proscribed terrorist is being allowed to walk free and continue his evil agenda. Pakistani government should fulfil its international obligations and take credible and effective action against terrorists like Saeed.
The United States asked the Pakistan government to make sure that Hafiz Saeed is arrested and charged for his crimes, following the release of the 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind and JuD chief from house arrest.
- Centre will soon make it obligatory for all State DISCOMS to ensure 24 hours power supply to all consumers
The Centre will soon make it obligatory for all State DISCOMS to ensure 24 hours power supply to all consumers. Minister of Power and New and Renewable Energy said this while unveiling a roadmap of bidding of solar and wind energy capacity at a function in New Delhi.
- There is adequate availability of power in the GRID and transmission systems are strong and the Central government is also supporting the State power distribution system to strengthen them for the purpose.
- Ministry said, the government will easily achieve 200 Giga Watt renewable energy capacities against the targeted capacity of 175 MW. The roadmap will help industrialists plan for bidding to generate power through sources of renewable energy.
- Scientists and engineers are working to further accelerate the speed of Brahmos
Scientists and engineers are working to further accelerate the speed of Brahmos, the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile, current speed from 2.8 to 3.5 with perfect strength accuracy and range.
The supersonic missile developed under the India Russia joint venture was successfully test fired from Sukhoi 30 fighter jet of the Indian air force.
- Standard & Poor’s (S&P) today kept India’s sovereign rating unchanged, at ‘BBB minus’ with a stable outlook
Global rating agency, Standard & Poor’s (S&P) today kept India’s sovereign rating unchanged, at ‘BBB minus’ with a stable outlook.
- The ratings reflect the country’s strong GDP growth, sound external profile, and improving monetary credibility.
- The country’s strong democratic institutions and its free press promote policy stability and also underpin the ratings.
- S&P added that these strengths are balanced against vulnerabilities stemming from the country’s low per capita income and relatively high general government debt stock.
- Moody’s had said that India’s growth prospects have improved with continued economic and institutional reforms.
- Finance Minister launched a new Yono App of State Bank of India
Finance Minister launched a new Yono App of State Bank of India which will offer its all financial services and products to the customers.
The digital service platform ‘You Only Need One’ (Yono) will offer everything related to financial services and lifestyle.