Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
All India Radio News Summary: 18 NOVEMBER 2017
- Moody’s Investors Service upgrades ratings of nine Public Sector Undertakings including ONGC, BPCL and NHAI from positive to stable
In step with India’s rating upgrade, Moody’s Investors Service has upgraded ratings of nine state-owned firms.
- These are Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL), Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL), Indian Oil Corp (IOC), Petronet LNG Ltd (PLL), Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), NHPC, National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) and GAIL India.
- The foreign currency issuer ratings of BPCL, HPCL, IOC and PLL were upgraded to Baa2 from Baa3.
- The ‘Baa3’ rating is the lowest investment grade just a notch above ‘junk’ status.
- ONGC’s rating has been upgraded to Baa1 from Baa2.
- Ratings of NTPC, NHPC, NHAI and GAIL India have also been raised to Baa2 stable.
- The outlook on these ratings has been revised to stable from positive.
- Supreme Court has asked all states and Union territories to consider prohibiting the use of pet coke and furnace oil by industries
The court said, it was a cause of pollution not only for the National Capital Region but the entire nation.
- The apex court has already banned the use of pet coke and furnace oil in Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Rajasthan from the 1st of this month. And it is already prohibited in Delhi.
- The court made the remarks after the Centre said, the Central Pollution Control Board has issued a direction on the prohibition of pet coke and furnace oil with immediate effect until further orders.
- India and France agree to deepen security co-operation and strengthen strong commitment in combating terrorism.
India and France have agreed to deepen security co-operation, bilaterally and in the multilateral fora, and strengthen strong commitment in combating terrorism in all its forms and manifestations.
- Both countries have vowed to get rid of the menace of terrorism.
- Both countries have decided to further improve the defence and economic co-operation.
- Civil nuclear co-operation is an important pillar of the bilateral engagement.
- Both countries are committed to save the earth through the Paris climate change agreement. Francewill continue its partnership with India in areas such as smart cities and renewable energy adding that French President Emmanuel Macron to visit India early next year.
- India and China say, maintaining peace in areas along Sino-Indian border is important for bilateral relations.
India and China have agreed that maintaining peace and tranquillity in areas along the Sino-Indian border is an important prerequisite for sustained growth of bilateral relations.
- The two countries reviewed the situation at all sectors of the border at the 10th round of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) that was held in Beijing.
- The two sides also exchanged views on furthering the confidence building measures and strengthening military-to-military contacts.
- Iraqi government forces have retaken the last town in the country still held by the Islamic State terror group
Iraqi government forces have retaken the last town in the country still held by the Islamic State terror group.
- The Joint Operations Command said in a statement that Government troops and paramilitary units liberated the whole of
- Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi hailed the town’s liberation in record time and said troops will now conduct search operations in the desert to secure the border with Syria.
- The government has raised import duty on crude palm oil from 15 per cent to 30 per cent
The government has raised import duty on crude palm oil from 15 per cent to 30 per cent.
- This has been done to curb cheaper shipments and boost local prices for supporting farmers and refiners.
- Similarly, import duty on refined oil has been hiked to 40 per cent from the present 20 per cent.
- Import duty on soyabean has also been increased to 30 per cent from 17.5 per cent.
- India imports palm oil mainly from Indonesia and Malaysia, soyabean oil from Latin America and Sunflower oil from Ukraine and Russia.
- Miss World 2017 – Manushi Chhillar
Haryana-born Manushi Chhillar was today crowned Miss World 2017 in a grand finale in China. Edging out beauties from over 108 nations, the 20-year-old medical student, managed to win the coveted title. Miss World 2016 winner Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle passed on the crown to Ms Chhillar in the beauty pageant.
- The crown was last won by an Indian 17 years ago.
- The coveted title was last won by Priyanka Chopra in 2000, In 1997, Diana Hayden had bagged the title, while Aishwarya Rai had the honours in 1994.
- Namami Barak festival was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister
The first ever Namami Barak festival was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister at Silchar.
- The event is being organised at three locations in Barak Valley.
- Silchar is the main event area while the other two locations are Hailakandi and Karimganj district.
- Namami Barak festival is an attempt to pay tribute to the River Barak and to showcase its potential to emerge as a trading hub.
- The festival aims to explore and promote the socio-economic development of the Barak as also the rich cultural heritage surrounding the river.
- The cuisine, fauna and flora, and civic splendor will be showcased before a global audience during the festival.