All India Radio News Summary: 13 NOVEMBER 2017
- November 14, 2017
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: All India Radio Spotlight
All India Radio News Summary: 13 NOVEMBER 2017
- Prime Minister says, government aims to make India a global manufacturing hub;
Prime Minister is participating in the opening ceremony of the ASEAN Summit in the Philippines’ capital Manila.
India’s participation in the annual ASEAN Summits has been upgraded as a strategic partner since 2012. India has been associated with this key and robust regional grouping in the Asia-Pacific for over 25 years. The ASEAN officials have said, people centric issues affecting the region would be given more emphasis in the summit.
PM at ASEAN Business and Investment Summit:
Prime Minister said his government intends to make India a global manufacturing hub.
- He highlighted India’s growth story to portray it as an attractive investment destination.
- He wants to make Indian youth job creators instead of job seekers. Substantiating his claim, the Prime Minister said, over 90 percent of the Indian economy is open for foreign direct investment.
- The processes to start companies in India and to secure clearances have been simplified.
- Referring to digitization of Indian economy, he said, cashless transactions have registered 34 percent growth since demonetization brought in about a year back.
- Pointing out at India climbing 30 places in the World Bank’s ‘ease of doing business’ list this year, he said, it was the biggest jump by any country in a single year.
- The ASEAN Mentorship for Entrepreneurs launched at this summit. He mentioned that South and South-East Asia would be the growth engine of the world.
- He further said, India attaches greater importance to boosting economic ties with the ASEAN nations.
The Prime Minister also addressed the Indian diaspora at Manila in Philippines. PM said,
- Government’s efforts are aimed at transforming India and ensuring everything in the nation matches global standards.
- Prime Minister has observed that India is the land of universal brotherhood, promoting the principle of “Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.”
- India has always contributed to world peace and India’s contingent to the UN Peace Keeping Force is amongst the largest.
- He underscored that the ASEAN Region including the Philippines is very important for India.
PM held bilateral talks with US president
- Prime Minister of India and US President Donald Trump held bilateral talks on the side-lines of the ASEAN summit at Manila in Philippines.
- During the meeting, the two leaders discussed several issues including defence and security.
- PM told US President that both countries can rise beyond bilateral ties and work jointly for the future of Asia, reflecting their growing convergence on strategic issues in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Haj travellers can now fly to Saudi Arabia from multiple embarkation points in the country
Union Minority Affairs Minister said that Haj travellers can now fly to Saudi Arabia from multiple embarkation points in the country.
- The facility will come into effect from November the 15th.
- The facility will prove more economical for pilgrims as charges at the major embarkation points like Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata are cheaper than the tier-II cities such as Aurangabad, Indore, and Srinagar among others.
- People can submit their applications by physically filling in the form as well as through online registration including the payment facility for the same.
- At least 200 dead as 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes in border regions of Iraq and Iran
The death toll from yesterday’s 7.3.magnitude earthquake that struck the border region between Iran and Iraq has risen to 213. Spokesman for Iran’s National Disaster Management Organization, said that in Iran alone at least 207 people were killed and more than 1700 injured.
- The worst-hit towns in Iran were Qasr-e Shirin in Kermanshah and Azgaleh, about 40 kilometres northwest.
- According to US Geological Survey the powerful quake hit close to Halabjah, southeast of Sulaymaniyah.
- The quake and its aftershocks have been felt in many Iranian provinces. It was also felt in Turkey, Kuwait, Armenia, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain and Israel.
- Fourth India-Canada Annual Ministerial Dialogue
- India and Canada have expressed their strong commitment to take forward negotiations for early conclusion of Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement, CEPA.
- India also highlighted the importance of services component under the agreement at the 4th India-Canada Ministerial Dialogue on Trade and Investment.
- The Indian Delegation was led by Commerce and Industry Minister while the Canadian side was headed by the Minister for International Trade.
- Both sides also noted the exchange of wish lists on the services front and the Indian side reiterated that the architecture for Services under CEPA is a vital focus area and response from Canada on positive elements has to be mutually beneficial.
- Bangladesh has assured India that compensation will be paid to those Hindus whose houses were torched
Bangladesh has assured India that compensation will be paid to those Hindus whose houses were torched over rumours that an offensive Facebook status was posted allegedly by a Hindu youth.
- The incident took place in Rangpur district’s Thakurpara village, about 300 km from the capital.
- Second and final phase of BharatNet Project launched to provide broadband service in all Gram Panchayats by March 2019.
To provide high-speed broadband service in all Gram Panchayats by March 2019, government launched its second and final phase of BharatNet project.
- It will be implemented at an outlay of around 34 thousand crore rupees.
- India’s Digital story is about digital inclusion aiming to empower people.
- Electronics and IT Minister urged the IT Ministers from state governments to leverage the Bharat Net for development of states.
- The Minister said, Centre is striving to make India’s digital economy as 1 Trillion Dollar economy.
- BharatNet aims to connect all Gram Panchayats. India is moving towards a digital future and through BharatNet citizen centric services will reach people easily and will bridge the digital divide.
- Department of Telecommunications signed MoUs with states for the implementation of second phase of BharatNet.
- Under this phase, broadband connectivity will be provided in remaining one and a half lakh Gram Panchayats in the country.
- Broadband infrastructure on Optical Fibre network has been made available in more than one lakh Gram Panchayats as part of BharatNet Phase-1 and by next month, all these Panchayats will be operational on the BharatNet infrastructure.
- Almost 90 thousand installations have been completed and broadband services are expected to commence in 80 thousand Gram Panchayats soon.
- Telecom Service Providers, who in collaboration with Department of Telecommunications have taken initiative to set up centres in rural areas to demonstrate service delivery on BharatNet infrastructure.
- National Green Tribunal restricts the number of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine at 50 thousand per day.
National Green Tribunal has decided to restrict the number of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu and Kashmir at 50 thousand per day. It said, pilgrims should be stopped at Ardhkuwari or Katra town if the number exceeds.
- The Green Tribunal also ordered opening of a new path to Vaishno Devi exclusively for pedestrians and battery-operated cars from the 24th of this month.
- The NGT directed that no horses or mules shall be allowed on the new route to the shrine and these animals shall be removed slowly from the old path as well.
- It also directed the authorities to impose an environment compensation of 2,000 rupees on anyone found littering the roads as well as the bus stop at the nearby Katra town.
- India Youth Development Index and Report 2017
Youth and Sports Minister released the India Youth Development Index and Report 2017 in New Delhi.
- The Index enables recognizing the high and low performing states, identifies the weak domains and informs the policy makers the priority areas of intervention for youth development in the state
- The objective of constructing the index is to track the trends in youth development across the States.