All India Radio New Summary
- National Human Rights Commission issued a notice regarding Rohingya immigrants
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a notice to the Home Ministry regarding reported deportation of illegal Rohingya immigrants from Myanmar.
- Taking suo motu cognisance of a media report, NHRC issued a notice to the Home Ministry and sought a detailed report in the matter within four weeks.
- The Commission observed that refugees are no doubt foreign nationals but they are human beings and before taking a big step, the Centre has to look into every aspect.
- Nearly 40,000 Rohingyas are residing in various parts of India.
What functions have been assigned to the Commission under Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 ?
The Commission shall, perform all or any of the following functions, namely:-
- Inquire, on its own initiative(Suo motu) or on a petition presented to it by a victim or any person on his behalf, into complaint of-
- violation of human rights or abetment or
- negligence in the prevention of such violation, by a public servant;
- intervene in any proceeding involving any allegation of violation of human rights pending before a court with the approval of such court;
- visit, under intimation to the State Government, any jail or any other institution under the control of the State Government, where persons are detained or lodged for purposes of treatment, reformation or protection to study the living condition of the inmates and make recommendations thereon ;
- review the safeguards by or under the Constitution or any law for the time being in force for the protection of human rights and recommend measures for their effective implementation;
- review the factors, including acts of terrorism that inhibit the enjoyment of human rights and recommend appropriate remedial measures;
- study treaties and other international instruments on human rights and make recommendations for their effective implementation;
- undertake and promote research in the field of human rights;
- spread human rights literacy among various sections of society and promote awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of these rights through publications, the media, seminars and other available means;
- encourage the efforts of non – Governmental organizations and institutions working in the field of human rights;
- Such other functions as it may consider necessary for the promotion of human rights.
- Chief Electoral Officers’ Conference in New Delhi
Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioner inaugurated a two-day Chief Electoral Officers’ Conference in New Delhi.
- It stressed on the need for providing E-services to stakeholders and
- Emphasised the requirement to develop E-Payment gateways for various election services of the Election Commission.
- Need for extensive training programmes on Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) as the Commission has decided to conduct all future elections using it along with Electronic Voting Machines.
- Kulbhushan Jadhav case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ)
India had moved the ICJ against the death penalty handed to Jadhav by a Pakistani military court. ICJ had, in May, restrained Pakistan from executing the death sentence.
India has said, it has not received any communication from Pakistan about the launch of a consultation process by it to nominate an ad-hoc judge for the Kulbhushan Jadhav case at the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
According to a Pakistani media report, Islamabad has begun consultations over the nomination of an ad-hoc judge for the Jadhav case and that an ex-attorney general and a former Jordanian premier have emerged as the top contenders.
- ‘Imandari Ki Dukan’ or Honesty shop opened in Assam
In Assam, following the Prime Minister’s call to make India corruption free, an ‘Imandari Ki Dukan’ or Honesty shop has been opened in the Government Girls Higher Secondary School in Silchar.
- The shop has been set up to inculcate a sense of honesty and transparency among the students.
- In a first of its kind initiative, a unique shop has been opened in the school premises which have NO shopkeeper.
- If students want to buy something, they can pick up and the price of that item is put in a box placed inside the shop.
- The idea is a brainchild of Cachar district administration.
- A pledge of honesty was also administered to the students before the shop opened.
- The student is not only learning to be independent but they will also act as whistle blower in case they see any one stealing.
- Reserve Bank Governor called for recapitalization of state-run banks
Reserve Bank Governor today called for recapitalization of state-run banks to help them resolve the Non-Performing Assets issue in a time-bond manner as bad loans at 9.6 per cent of the system is not acceptable.
Gross NPA ratio of the banking system at 9.6 per cent and stressed advances ratio at 12 per cent is indeed a matter of concern.
Finance Minister called for speedy and time-bound resolution of the bad loans issue.
He expressed hope that the mandated timelines will be adhered to for effective implementation of the Act.
The rationale for the New Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code:
- This was necessitated by the failure of debt recovery tribunals to effectively perform their duty after the initial success.
- The key objective of NPA resolution is not liquidation of their businesses but to save them.
- The objective is to make sure that these valuable assets are preserved.
- Foundation stones of 70 new companies in Jharkhand
Union Minister for textiles has inaugurated a ceremony at Jamshedpur in Jharkhand for laying foundation stones of 70 new companies.
- This initiative is under the ongoing Momentum Jharkhand initiative of state government whose theme is ease of doing business in the state.
- The ongoing ceremony, named as “Second Groundbreaking Ceremony” foundation stones for 70 companies were laid whose permissions have been granted after receiving the proposals few months ago.
- This will usher a new era of development in the state.
- This is part of Jharkhand government emphasis to boost manufacturing in the state.
- A modern handloom manufacturing unit was inaugurated in Ranchi.
- The Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills by USA and South Korea
United States and South Korea will begin a 10-day-long annual military exercise from Monday.
- The Ulchi Freedom Guardian drill is a computer simulated defensive exercise designed to enhance readiness and maintain stability on the Korean peninsula.
- In addition to South Korea and US forces, UN Command forces from seven states will participate in the exercise.
- The Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills will be the first joint military exercise between the allies since North Korea successfully flight-tested two intercontinental ballistic missiles in July and threatened to bracket Guam with intermediate range ballistic missile fire in August.
- World Honey Bee Day
President today visited the President’s Estate on the occasion of World Honey Bee Day.
- With the help of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) the government is promoting the Honey Mission in the country.
- At present, 200 bee boxes have been set up which will increase to 500.
- The apiary will produce high quality honey, wax and pollen.
- Uttakal Express derailed near Khatauli railway station in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh
At least 12 persons are killed and several injured after 12 bogies of Haridwar bound Uttakal Express derailed near Khatauli railway station in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh today.
- Rescue and relief operation is underway by local administration and railway personnel with the assistance of local people.
- Several ambulances from Meerut and Muzaffarnagar have been pressed into operation.
- Accident relief train has also reached.
- 45 member NDRF teams have also been rushed and 9 companies of PAC have also rushed to the spot.
- Medical vans have been rushed to the site and all efforts being made to ensure speedy relief and rescue operations.
- A mega job and loan mela by the Ministry of Labour and Emloyment
The government aims to impart skill development training to 2 crore youth and provide jobs to one crore youth by 2020. The Ministry of Labour and Employment has been taking a number of initiatives in this direction. It conducted 850 job melas across the country so far and about one lakh aspirants were given job offer letters. Unemployed youth should register their names on National Carrier Service Portal to find suitable jobs for their educational qualifications.
- Over seven crore youth were provided bank loans under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana in the last three years.
- A mega job and loan mela was inaugurated at Nizamabad town in Telangana, to help youth from government employment schemes.
- The job and loan melas are being conducted by the Ministry of Labour and Emloyment across the country to enhance employment opportunities to the youth.
- State’s first hospital to run completely on solar power energy
In Arunachal Pradesh, the 50-bed Jarung Hospital in Kra Dadi District has become the state’s first hospital to run completely on solar power energy. The solar plant produces enough power to run the hospital and nearby quarters
- A state funeral has been held in Pakistan for Ruth Pfau
A state funeral has been held in Pakistan for a German doctor and nun who devoted her life to battling leprosy. Ruth Pfau, who lived in Pakistan for more than 50 years, set up 150 leprosy clinics across the country. Her efforts meant that in 1996, the disease was declared to have been brought under control.