All India Radio News Summary 17 August 2017
- “Technology and innovation should be harnessed to transform governance”
On the event named as Champions of Change Prime Minister interacted with country’s young entrepreneurs across several sectors to enable inclusive development for making New India. He interacted with over 200 young entrepreneurs on six sectors crucial to enable inclusive growth and development.
The interaction focused on
- Building New India by 2022,
- Digital India,
- Skill development.
The entrepreneurs presented papers to the Prime Minister on how private sector can enable innovation, job creation and income enhancement.
Union Ministers, NITI Aayog Vice Chairman and CEO and Secretaries in the central government Ministries also interacted with young entrepreneurs and start-ups.
Prime Minister said,
- processes and systems will have to be changed with the changing times
- every citizen has something to contribute to the nation and Centre wants to integrate these strengths with nation’s growth
- policy makers in government and the youth should together work for India’s good
- it is unfortunate that corruption was institutionalized and the time has come to change it
- A change can be brought about in the quality of education through the use of technology.
- only government and government initiatives will not make a New India and the change will have to be powered by each and every citizen
- innovation is life and without innovation, there is stagnation
- technology and innovation should be harnessed to transform governance
- He also stressed the importance of integrating the strengths of society with the systems
As part of the event several other discussions are planned
- Discussions on Incredible India 2.0 on promoting travel, tourism, art, culture, hospitality, promotion, marketing and branding.
- On energy, climate change, renewables, shared mobility and transport.
- Discussion on financial services and inclusion, digital payments, supply chain and delivery technology.
In Mann Ki Baat programme PM asked people to share their ideas and suggestions. People can share their views, ideas and suggestions in the My Gov Open Forum People can also give a missed call on the number 1922 and follow the link received in SMS to directly give the suggestions to the Prime Minister. Best inputs will be incorporated by him during the address.
- United States designates Hizbul Mujahideen as Terrorist Organisation
The United States has named Pakistan based Kashmiri terrorist outfit Hizbul Mujahideen as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation. The decision comes nearly two months after adding the group’s Pakistan-based chief Syed Salahuddin to its list of designated global terrorists.
- Such a designation would expose and isolate terrorist groups and individuals, and assist the law enforcement agencies and other governments. US seek to deny Hizbul Mujahideen the resources it needs to carry out terrorist attacks.
- All its properties and interests in properties subject to US jurisdiction are blocked
- US persons are generally prohibited from engaging in any transactions with the group.
The US decision to designate the Hizbul Mujahideen as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation is a positive development in the overall global effort to contain the influence and reach of such groups. This decision comes at a time when such groups in Pakistan are also seeking a political role and thereby legitimise their status in relation to state and society.
- Energy efficient bulbs and tube lights to be sold at petrol pumps
Energy efficient LED bulbs, tubelights and ceiling fans will be sold at petrol pumps across the country. The consumer can purchase LED bulbs at 70 rupees, tubelights at 220 and 5 star rated ceiling fans at 1200 rupees.
Energy Efficiency Services Limited signed an MoU with oil marketing companies – Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited in New Delhi for distribution of UJALA Energy Efficient Appliances through their Petrol Pumps. These three oil marketing companies have over 53 thousand petrol pumps. These electrical products will be available across the country in the next 6 months.
- An alternative mechanism for speedy completion of strategic disinvestment
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the proposal of the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management, DIPAM for strategic disinvestment. The approval will help in speedy completion of strategic disinvestment transactions.
The Department will set up an alternative mechanism comprising of
- the Finance Minister,
- the Minister for Road Transport and Highways and
- the Minister of the Administrative Department,
This will decide on matters relating to terms and conditions of the sale from the stage of inviting of the Expression of Interest till the inviting of financial bids.
- Aadhaar linkage mandatory for loans under Interest Subvention Scheme
Reserve Bank has made Aadhar linkage mandatory for farmers who wish to avail short-term crop loans in 2017-18.
RBI has advised banks to make Aadhaar linkage compulsory to ensure hassle-free benefits to farmers under the Interest Subvention Scheme.
Interest Subvention Scheme:
Farmers can avail of short-term crop loans of up to 3 lakh rupees at subsidised interest rate of 7 percent that could go down to 4 percent on prompt repayment.
- Parsi New Year, Navroz is being celebrated today
Parsi New Year, Navroz is being celebrated today in various parts of the world.
- The day is celebrated to gain health, wealth, prosperity, and productivity.
- Four ‘Fs’ – Fire, Fragrance, Food, and Friendship – play an important role in the celebration.
- Besides celebration, Navroz is also the day of repentance.
- National Safety Awards (Mines)
President has asked mining companies to make a policy for welfare of labourers and their families.
Giving away the National Safety Awards (Mines)-2013 and 2014 in New Delhi today, President asked them to put in place world class safety measures in mines for prevention of accidents. Safety of people should be accorded top most priority.
The mineral sector contributes 2.6 per cent of country’s GDP.
- New two-by-two ministerial dialogue
India and the US will establish a new two-by-two ministerial dialogue.
- The dialogue will elevate the strategic coordination between New Delhi and Washington.
- The dialogue signifies the critical strategic importance of the US-India relationship to global order.
US President and Indian Prime Minister had agreed to enhance peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific region by establishing a new two-by-two ministerial dialogue.
The new format would include External Affairs Minister and Defence Minister and their American counterparts Secretary of State and Defense Secretary.