[Insights Secure – 2017] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 18 April 2017
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
STATIC Syllabus Timetable
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) Discuss the factors that are aggravating melting of ice in the Arctic and other ice regions. In your opinion, what kind of response is needed to deal with climate change consequences? (200 Words)
Topic: Political philosophies
2) What do you understand by populism and technocracy? Discuss differences between them with suitable examples. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability
3) Critically discuss ramifications of the late Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa’s 20-year-old Disproportionate Assets (DA) case. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
4) Discuss the features and significance of HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill. (200 Words)
Topic: Judiciary functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these
5) Examine series of Supreme Court decisions modifying the electoral process in recent years and discuss issues arising out of these cases and their implications. (200 Words)
Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
6) Critically evaluate success of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in controlling and eradicating use of chemical weapons around the world. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
7) It is argued that in human – wildlife conflict situations, rather than only focussing on a wild, snarling animal, a greater understanding of crowd dynamics is also called for. Discuss why. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
8) Examine Thomas Aquinas’s ethical theory, and the virtues and principles it promotes. (150 Words)