[Insights Secure – 2017] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 01 February 2017
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Poverty and developmental issues; population and associated issues
1) More than 240 million children are living in conflict zones and even more children are suffering from various abuses. What should be done to protect the rights, lives and futures of the world’s most vulnerable children? Critically examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
2) India needs an all-encompassing healthcare model that is truly able to achieve the objective of improving access to quality healthcare. Do you think controlling drug prices achieves this objective? What other measures are needed to provide quality and affordable healthcare to citizens? Examine. (200 Words)
Topic:Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
Topic: Functioning of judiciary; Appointment to various Constitutional posts
4) With a pendency of 59,000 cases in the Supreme Court (SC), over four million in high courts (HC) and a mind-boggling 25 million in subordinate courts, the judicial system is virtually dysfunctional. Considering these facts, do you think government of India’s suggestion for appointing a Search Cum Evaluation Committee (SEC) has a merit? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to poverty and hunger
5) Despite expansion in the use of the public distribution system (PDS), there has not been much decline in child malnutrition. Why is there such a disconnect? What other options are there to improve child nutrition? Analyse. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Economic growth and development; Resource mobilization
6) Educated estimates say, 95% of retail dealings continue to be in cash and only 5% of transactions are conducted digitally through various modes. It is suggested that Carbon credit-like system could curb usage of cash. Discuss how. (200 Words)
Topic: Land reforms in India; Infrastructure
7) Even with the new improved land acquisition law, the intensity of conflicts over the acquisition of land for infrastructure projects are being witnessed in various parts of India. Critically examine why. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Challenges of corruption; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
8) It is almost an annual feature in the U.S. to see an American corporation admitting to have violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in its Indian operations, and agreeing to pay huge penalties. What ethical issues does these admissions of corrupt practices give rise to? How should Indian authorities respond to such practices? Critically examine. (150 Words)