[Insights Secure – 2017] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 24 December 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Population and associated issues,
1) Now and then, some of the functionaries on the union government have demanded a law on population control and have even suggested that the voting rights of those with more than two children should be revoked. Does India need such law and measures like male sterilization to control population? In your opinion, how population should be controlled? Critically examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability
2) Amidst all the brouhaha about demonetisation, the issue of curtailing the deployment of black money by politicians for funding election campaigns appears to have been sidelined. Why is this issue important for Indian polity? What reforms should government initiate in this regard? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States
3) The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, replacing the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995, is a big step forward in addressing the rights of persons with disabilities (PWDs) in India. Justify. (200 Words)
Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary
4) When the judiciary and the centre argue about the need for transparency and accountability, it seems that both envision these as duties only towards each other, and not towards society generally. In this context, critically discuss on what reforms should judiciary focus more. (200 Words)
Topic: mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
5) Critically analyse the various aspects of crime committed by juveniles in India, such as the trend of such crime over time, the socio-economic characteristics of juvenile offenders, and the role of the state in dealing with it. (200 Words)
Topic: Poverty and hunger; Performance of welfare schemes
6) Malnutrition is a severe problem among India’s women and children. In this light, critically evaluate performance of Integrated Child Development Services and anganwadis in addressing the problem of malnutrition across states. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
7) A study by the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO) shows that India is the third largest importer of illegally logged timber in the world, after China and Vietnam. What is illegal logging? How does it affect forests and its dwellers? In the light of its top ranking in importing illegal timber, in your opinion, what should India do to tackle illegal logging and its importing? Critically examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
a) Discuss how it leads to negative emotions and undesirable behaviors.
b) How can hit be managed and controlled?
CSE Mains 2016 GS-IV