[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Affairs: 22 August 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
TESTING……… (Original post was posted morning at 9.10 am today)
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Poverty and developmental issues; Role of women; Social empowerment
General Studies – 2
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
2) With reference to Saudi Arabia’s military intervention in Yemen, do you think Yemen is the victim of complex geopolitical games played in the region by the Western powers and the regional powers? Should India be concerned? Critically discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary
3) With reference to the tension between the judiciary and the government on the appointment of judges to the High Courts and Supreme Court, critically examine the position of both the government and the judiciary on this issue and suggest how both can find an amicable solution. (200 Words)
Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these
4) Except for the Constitution Amendments – whose votes are recorded and counted – all other Bills are voted by voice vote in the Parliament. Do you think votes by MPs for all other Bills should be recorded and counted too? Substantiate. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country; Food security
Topic: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers,
Topic: Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
7) According to a report, India is home to the third largest number of technology-driven start-ups in the world, with the US and the UK occupying the top two positions. Examine which factors have enabled India to achieve this feat. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethical concerns in administration;
8) You are working as Block Development Officer. In one of the Gram Panchayat administered school, a post of cook is lying vacant for long time. Recently, the committee of selection which consists of school head master, panchayat president and other members have shortlisted four women for the post. However, many villagers are unhappy that a dalit woman is included in the list. There are protests being held outside school and panchayat office against selection committee’s decision. Village elders are trying to persuade you to cancel the list or to remove the Dalit woman’s name from the list in order to maintain harmony in the village. The issue has snowballed into violent fight between Dalits and people of other castes in the village. Apart from dalit woman, the list includes a widow who is abandoned by both her families, an upper caste woman but physically disabled and a an acid attack victim. The dalit woman is economically sound, but she is also most eligible for the post in terms of meeting other criteria for the post.
a) What are the options available to you in handling this situation? Examine their merits and demerits. (150 Words)
b) Finally, with or without opposition from any quarters, personally whom will you select from four women for the post of cook? Justify. (150 Words)