Mains Self Study 2017 Test – 1
(Following questions are part of Prelims Test Series 2017. These are meant for self practice at home)
Answer ALL the following questions in about 200 Words. (10 x 10 = 100 Marks)
1) What were the special features of Harappan cities? Compare today’s urbanization in India with that of Harappan cities.
Source: NCERT Class VI History, Our Pasts – I, Chapter 4
2) What were the problems that Ashoka wanted to solve by introducing dhamma? What were the means adopted by Ashoka to spread the message of dhamma? Examine.
Source: NCERT Class VI History, Our Pasts – I, Chapter 8
3) What is the difference between evergreen forest and deciduous forest? What measures should be taken to increase forest cover in India? Examine.
Source: NCERT Class VI Geography, Earth Our Habitat, Chapter 8
4) Do you think the term “unity in diversity” is an appropriate term to describe India? Is the unity under threat? If yes, by which forces? Critically comment.
Source: NCERT Class VI, Social and Political Life – I, Chapter 1
5) How Dr Ambedkar fought odds to get good education? Examine how his fight against discrimination shaped his political ideology.
Source: NCERT Class VI, Social and Political Life – I, Chapter 2
6) Do you think we need the government to find solutions to many disputes or conflicts? Considering persisting inequalities and disputes, do you think there is a need to find alternative to governments to find solutions? Critically comment.
Source: NCERT Class VI, Social and Political Life – I, Chapter 4
7) What is the difference between a Gram Sabha and a Gram Panchayat? Has Panchayat System failed in India? Critically examine.
Source: NCERT Class VI, Social and Political Life – I, Chapter 6
8) Describe two methods of struggle that the women’s movement used to raise issues? If you had to organise a struggle against stereotypes, about what women can or cannot do, what method would you employ? Why would you choose this particular method? Discuss.
Source: NCERT Class VII, Social and Political Life – II, Chapter 5
9) What are the different ways through which the government can take steps to provide healthcare for all? Should government encourage private players to provide healthcare facilities? Discuss.
Source: NCERT Class VII, Social and Political Life – II, Chapter 2
10) Discuss the challenges of conserving wildlife in the Ganga – Brahmaputra basin.
Source: NCERT Class VII, Our Environment, Chapter 8