[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 08 June 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Political philosophies like communism
General Studies – 2
Topic: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
2) The Constitution conceived of the Rajya Sabha as a House of States, where elders representing their state of domicile participate in the law making process while also keeping a check on the Lok Sabha, the elected assembly. Do you think the Rajya Sabha has lived up to this expectation? Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability
3) Should there be censorship of films? Critically discuss in the light of release of report by Shyam Benegal Committee (2016) on film censorship and recent moves by Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) to ban or cut scenes in movies. (200 Words)
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interest
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Topic: Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
6) It is said that the recent controversy over Rajya Sabha polls in Karnataka is an opportunity to bring in crucial electoral reforms. Discuss the issues involved and reforms that can be brought. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Effects of liberalization on the economy; Conservation; Environmental pollution
7) Global trade in wind turbines, water filters and other environmental goods amounts to nearly $1 trillion annually, and it’s growing fast. But in recent years, trade in these items are facing many hurdles. What are these? How can they be overcome? Examine from India’s perspective. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic:Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems;
8) In this age of globalization and modernity, religious leaders are wielding immense power our politicians, judges and bureaucrats, and attracting large masses and building big business empires. In your opinion, what’s the underlying cause of this phenomenon? Should this be regulated? Critically comment. (150 Words)