Test – 19: Mains Self Study – 2016 (Mission – 2016)
02 May 2015
Following questions are based on following Topics:1) Chapters 5, 6, 7, 9 & 10 – Public Institutions in India2) BIPAN CHANDRA – Struggle for India’s Independence – Chapters 24 to 293) PLASSEY to PARTITION – Sekhar Bandyopadhyay – Chapter 6
Answer ALL the following questions in about 200 Words Each: (10×10=100 Marks)
- Which factors contributed to the rise of Left Wing groups during the National Movement? Examine.
- “It was above all Jawaharlal Nehru who imparted a socialist vision to the national movement and who became the symbol of socialism and socialist ideas in India after 1929.” Discuss.
- “Despite the fact that the Left cadres were among the most courageous, militant and sacrificing of freedom fighters, the Left failed in the basic task it had taken upon itself— to establish the hegemony of socialist ideas and parties over the national movement.” Discuss why.
- Did Jawaharlal Nehru fully agree with the basic Gandhian strategy of struggle? Critically discuss.
- During 1937, when the Congress formed government in many provinces, it could not attempt a complete overhaul of the agrarian structure by completely eliminating the zamindari system. Examine why.
- “It can be asserted that perhaps the most important contribution of the peasant movements that covered large areas of the subcontinent in the 30s and 40s was that even when they did not register immediate successes, they created the climate which necessitated the post-Independence agrarian reforms.” Discuss.
- How did the World War I affect social and economic environment in India? It’s said that the World War I created congenial context for Gandhiji’s emergence as an undisputed leader of Indian Nationalism. Examine why.
- Political neutrality is a cardinal tenet of the civil services in India. Do you think it has survived well? Examine the nature of political neutrality practised by IAS.
- In India, civil services is afflicted by several shortcomings. What are the remedial measures you would suggest to overcome these shortcomings? Analyse.
- The working of Finance Commissions, their design of the transfer system, and the approach and methodology adopted by them have come in for criticism. What are the main criticisms? Analyse.