[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 05 February 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic:Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
1) In India, while our conservation policies are geared towards terrestrial biodiversity, there are many marine species that are not protected. Examine the various threats, the marine biodiversity that is affected and the socio-economic consequences of these threats. (200 Words)
Topic: Role of women; Social empowerment
General Studies – 2
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
Topic:Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources.
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
5) “MGNREGA is not a cure for rural distress but only a palliative. A more sustained focus on raising productivity in rural areas is needed, but has been missing in successive governments.” In your opinion, what should be this ‘more sustained focus’ to help address rural distress? Should governments solely depend on MGNREGA to generate rural employment? Critically analyse. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
6) “There is a myth that small firms create the most jobs in an economy. The fact is that small firms that grow big create the jobs.” Elaborate the statement in the Indian context and examine what problems exist in setting up of big firms that generate employment and how they can be overcome. (200 Words)
Topic: Resource mobilization
7) It is argued that the FRBM target has been relaxed far too many times in India’s recent history and it’s time for India to strictly adhere to the path of fiscal consolidation. Do you concur with this argument? Substantiate. (200 Words)
Topic; Developments in S&T
8) In the light of outbreak of mosquito borne viral diseases in recent years, it is argued that efforts should be made to try and eradicate Aedes aegypti, one of the main vectors. What methods are available to eradicate these mosquitoes? Discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Dimensions of ethics; Ethics in public administration; Moral thinkers