[Insights Secure – 2016] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 02 January 2016
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: World history
General Studies – 2
Topic:Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
2) In your opinion, whose interests will China’s ‘one belt, one road’ initiative serve better – China’s or participating countries’? What will India gain from this initiative? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections
3) Some argue that India has a young pension industry and it needs to deepen pension coverage. Discuss why pension needs to be deepened, challenges facing the existing pension schemes and measures to be taken by government to deepen pension coverage and address pension challenges. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources.
4) “The New Education Policy on the anvil should encourage academic talent and innovation to make the system of higher education more responsive to the needs of various stakeholders instead of just attempting to create a uniform standardised structure.” Who are the various stakeholders mentioned in the statement? What are the demerits of creating a uniform standardised structure in higher education? Critically discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
5) It is said that the Fourteenth Finance Commission (FFC) adopted an approach that contributes to building “trust” between three layers of government—union, state and local by stating in its report that the rewards of placing trust would far exceed the costs of administering the conditionalities. How does this trust factor work? Examine the merits and demerits of FFC’s new approach. (200 Words)
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations
6) In a major bid to facilitate cross-border transportation and trade, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal signed the landmark Motor Vehicle Agreement in June 2015. Is this agreement capable of unlocking the huge trade potential of these countries and deepening regional integration in a region known to be the least integrated in the world? Examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Basics of cyber security
7) “The overdue initiative to revive NATGRID must therefore be accompanied by action on the even longer-pending need to have effective oversight of intelligence agencies by Parliament or an eminent group.” Explain what is NATGRID and comment on the statement. (200 Words)
Topic: PDS; Food security
8) In your opinion, what is the biggest weakness of the the public distribution system? Explain why. It is said that PDS works well in regions with low market access, high cereal prices, and high poverty. Do you agree? Discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Ethics in public administration
9) “A mere compliance with law is not enough, the public servant also have to have a well developed sensibility to ethical issues for effective discharge of duties” Do you agree? Explain with the help of two examples where