[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 26 September 2015
26 September 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Role of women and women’s organization
1) The recent strike by large number of women workers at Munnar tea plantations highlights the poor implementation of the Plantation Labour Act and the indifferent attitude of the state and central governments to the plight of the workers. Examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Poverty and Developmental Issues
2) Some argue that poverty is a “cognitive tax” suffered because people are incapable of taking advantage of the opportunities that are open to them. Do you agree with such assessment? Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
3) Critically assess contribution of Lal Bahadur Shastri to post-Independent India’s consolidation. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections
4) Comment on the proposed amendment to the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act 1986. (150 Words)
Topic: Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
5) A recent report has warned that the United Nations (UN) is becoming increasingly dependent on corporate funding and private partnerships in the face of intergovernmental policy impasses. Examine why and suggest what needs to be done to reform UN. (200 Words)
Down to Earth (Scroll Down to Read the Story)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Awareness in IT and computers
6) Discuss the economic implications of net neutrality. Do you think just like physical transportation companies charge more to carry the same weight of steel as compared to sand, internet service providers should be allowed to price discriminate as well? Comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values. ;Ethics in private and public relationships
7) Your close friend, a 25 year old journalist in prominent news channel marries a 70 year old prominent political leader. She is intelligent and has made herself a good name in journalism at such a young age. Because of her prime time TV show, the news channel where she works has garnered good TRP ratings. A rival channel is running a program accusing your friend of marrying a rich old powerful politician to climb fast in politics and to get rich soon. She is disturbed by such accusations and shares her thoughts with you. She wants you to tell her honestly that she hasn’t committed a mistake.
Even some of your common friends are telling you the same in private conversations. Your parents also tell you that it is unethical for such a young girl to marry a old man. They even softly warn you to not to get influenced by her adventures.
What reply will you give to your close friend, your common friends and your parents respectively? Substantiate. (200 Words)