[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 03 September 2015
03 September 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
Details of Insights Offline Class + New Initiative
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent)
1) Despite discovering many new fields, India could not increase oil and gas production. Examine the causes and measures taken by the government to address this problem. (200 Words)
Topic: Urbanisation – problems and remedies
2) Analyse the the correlation between urbanisation and economic development. Do you think the Smart City initiative in its present form would also help in economic development? Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Post-independence consolidation
3) “The 1965 war banished the ghosts of 1962, and was a litmus test for India’s capabilities, on and off the battlefront.” Critically examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests
4) It is argued that the plummeting oil prices could sow the seeds of the next recession. Do you think so? Substantiate? (200 Words)
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
5) India had been trying to join APEC since 1993. Why do you think India’s has not been made APEC’s member and what are the likely benefits for India and APEC if the latter makes India its member? Examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources.
6) Do you support the re-introduction of the old pass-fail system or continuation with the current automatic promotion (referred to as “no-detention policy [NDP]”) to the next class, brought in as part of the implementation of the Right To Education Act (RTE, 2009)? Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Land reforms
7) The National Institution for Transforming India, or NITI, Aayog, has drafted a model land-leasing law that would serve as guide for those states that wish to amend their existing legislation. It is also said that there is an incontrovertible case for legalising land leasing and improving land records. Critically examine why legalising land leasing is given such importance and the benefits of this measure. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian economy – resource mobilisation
8) What do you understand by monetary transmission? It is said that monetary transmission mechanism in India is facing several problems. Analyse the causes. and the role of RBI in addressing this issue. (200 Words)
Topic: money-laundering and its prevention; Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
9) Critically examine the role of United Nations and its agencies in preventing the flow of black money and helping countries to deal with the menace. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Philosophical basis of governance and probity
10) Some people say that in a democracy people get the government they deserve. Do you agree with this view? Substantiate. (150 Words)