[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 19 August 2015
19 August 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
1) Do you think the United Kingdom should pay reparations to India to compensate for its colonial activities and economic exploitation of India? Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
2) It is argued that the Special Category Status given to certain states has become an instrument that has outlived its relevance and utility. Do you agree with this assessment? Critically analyse. (200 Words)
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
3) Critically analyse the components and objectives of India’s ‘Look West’ policy. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Awareness in IT and computers
4) It is said that though Big Data is the future, India should worry more about the Dark Data. Elaborate and examine why. (200 Words)
Topic: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
5) CAG in its report, commented that in an era of heightened coastal security concerns, Indian Coast Guard (ICG) remains ill-equipped to discharge its enhanced role and meet the challenges of today. Critically discuss. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Moral philosophy; Ethical concerns
6) “The greatest happiness of the greatest number is the foundation of morals and legislation.” – Jeremy Bentham
Do you agree with this statement? Elaborate with suitable examples. (200 Words)