Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 04 July 2015
04 July 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
1) Critically analyse the important findings of the first socio-economic and caste census in India since 1934, the Socio Economic and Caste Census 2011 (SECC), with reference to education, health, land, water and electricity accessibility. (200 Words)
Topic: Women empowerment; Indian art; Salient features of Indian society
2) “Fashioning urban centres is not just about delivering services with technical precision. Cities are about human beings, communities, migrants, classes, men and women, not to mention the various other species of flora and fauna which will live there.” With reference to the new Smart City initiative launched by the Government of India, critically discuss the statement. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
3) In recent years India has become a haven for commercial surrogacy, a controversial assisted reproductive technology. Critically examine why this is popular in India, the various concerns raised against this practice and the efficacy of legislation in regulating this practice. (200 Words)
Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
General Studies – 3
Topic: Economic growth and Development; Inclusive growth
5) Do you think India’s economic progress and its inclusive growth strategy has reduced poverty and inequality in the country? Critically analyse, especially with reference to the plight of tribal population. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: ethical concerns and dilemmas in government institutions
6) You are serving as Superintendent of Police of a district. You were incharge of conducting violence-free general elections in your jurisdiction and also you were responsible to stop distribution of illegal money, liquor and other freebies during campaigning by the candidates. During one night two police personnel at checkpost seize rupees one crore unaccounted money from a car. The money was meant to be distributed among voters to lure them to vote to a particular party. One of the policemen pockets rupees ten lakhs as he badly needed that money to pay for the treatment of his wife who was battling a life and death situation due to cancer. The other policeman knowing this truth supports his friend, but he too pockets rupees ten lakhs. They let the driver escape from the scene warning him not to show up in the district. Later they send their money to their homes and the report at the station that they have seized rupees eighty lakhs from an unknown vehicle whose driver ran away abandoning the vehicle.
b) The police man who took money to pay for the treatment of his wife requests you to not to take any action against him. You know that what he is saying is true. Will you treat him leniently? Justify. (100 Words)
Topic: Challenges of corruption
7) In your opinion, what are the challenges of fighting corruption an honest officer is likely to face when the state machinery is itself involved in corrupt activities and saving the corrupt public servants? Critically comment. (200 Words)