[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 05 June 2015
05 June 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
1) It is said that the Indian sugar industry is under severe stress due to many factors. Examine the problems faced by the Indian sugar industry, its recent growth trend and measures taken by the government to address these problems. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies
2) Why a former Chief Justice of India is made the chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission(NHRC)? In the light of recent events where human rights have been violated, it is argued that there is a need to reform NHRC to address such violations. Critically comment. (200 Words)
Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests; Paper – 3 effect of liberalization
3) Recently the World Trade Organization (WTO) urged India to undertake greater tax reform and liberalise the country’s Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) policy. Elaborate and examine what effect such reforms and liberalization, if undertaken, would have on India. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
4) Critically comment, by giving suitable examples of successful stories, on the role of philanthropy in providing quality education to poor children. In your opinion, why has government failed to provide quality education to poor children despite having funds? Examine. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security
Topic: Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate;
6) It is pointed out that the implementation of the demand for one-rank-one-pension by armed forces would create severe strain on government coffers and it is also said that its implementation would cause injustice to certain sections of other government servants. Critically comment on the issue. (200 Words)
Topic: Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance,
7) In the light of recent controversy over the presence of excessive harmful chemicals in a famous instant noodles product, critically discuss the impact of improper regulation of food safety standards on the economy and the consumers, and examine the role of regulators in ensuring production of safe processed foods. (200 Words)
The Hindu (framed Keeping Prelims in Mind!)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Social influence and persuasion.