UPDATE: Integrated Approach to Prelims General Studies – 1 and Mains General Studies Papers
- May 27, 2015
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: UPDATES
Following is the syllabus of General Studies (Paper – 1) of UPSC Civil Services Preliminary exam.
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialisation
- General Science.
- We are covering Topic – 1 daily at Secure – 2015 and Current Events sections.
- We have covered Topic – 2 partially when we started adding static portion along with Secure – 2015 questions.
- We have also covered some Topic – 3 partially (geography portion) at Secure – 2015.
As you already know that General Studies Paper – 1 of Prelims is very important from this year, we will try our best to cover important parts of syllabus along with Secure – 2015. Key to success is utilizing the limited time to effectively study both for Prelims and Mains.
Main intention of Secure Initiative is to make you read important (and relevant) articles, help you generate clear opinion on these articles and then make you express your opinion through writing (by asking you questions).
Ideally, while studying for Secure questions (which focuses on Mains), you should (or must) also study Prelims GS-1 syllabus. As time is very limited, now you must cover all important areas on priority basis.
We will give you a timetable to assist (or help?) you to study (or to revise, if you have already studied them) all important areas by August first week.
Along with Secure current events based questions we will also give questions from topics that are common to both Mains and Prelims. If you observe the prelims syllabus above, you can see that all those topics are spread over all first three GS papers of Mains.
Questions will be as usual descriptive. Purpose is to make you read important topics common for both prelims and Mains. If time permits, we will try to incorporate MCQs as well (separate from MCQs already being posted with current events).
Timetable will be based on NCERT and other standard books + websites.
Please note that most important part of this exam preparation is practising as many questions as possible. The above plan is just a roadmap. It is not a recipe for success. Your hard work earns you your success.
We will start from Environment section of Prelims GS-1 syllabus. Timetable for this will be given tomorrow evening (May 28th – sorry we are still preparing it!)
This article is just an introduction. We will come up with a detailed article ((by this weekend) on how to utilize next 85 days to score good marks in GS-1 of Prelims.
Meanwhile, please gather all your NCERTs, your notes, test series papers and start revising them.
Just to begin with, tomorrow we will ask surprise questions on ecology section (basics) in Secure – 2015. Say…a sort of warm-up exercise…!