[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 18 May 2015
18 May 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: Political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society.
1) Liberal democracy rests on three distinct sets of rights: property rights, political rights, and civil rights. In the light of these rights, critically comment whether India can be called a truly liberal democracy. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
2) The key component of India-South Korea strategic partnership continues to be a robust economic engagement. Critically analyse what India needs to do to deepen this relationship and how will it benefit from deeper partnership with South Korea. (200 Words)
Topic: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; Paper – 3 -Inclusive development
3) Critically comment on the design, objectives and potential of recently launched Atal Pension Yojana (APY). (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
4) It is said that India needs a comprehensive national capital goods policy to realize the potential of this sector. Discuss the need for such a policy, its framework and the potential of this sector. (200 Words)
Topic: Changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth; Infrastructure – Energy
5) Recently the government decided to separate the central transmission utility (CTU) function of state-owned Power Grid Corporation Limited (PGCIL) following its earlier decision to take away PGCIL’s grid management responsibility. Examine the significance of these decisions. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources,
6) It is warned that the hat the non-performing asset (NPA) problems of the Indian banking system might pose a serious crisis to the sector. Critically examine why NPA has become a problem, their effect on the economy and steps needed to address this issue. (200 Words)
Topic: Infrastructure – Energy
7) In recent years, in India, the growth of hydropower capacity has diminished thanks to various factors. Discuss what are these factors and possible solutions to address them. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance;
8) Examine what needs to be done to strengthen ethical and moral values in governance? If you are appointed as a head of a department where you find many of your subordinates to be unethical and immoral in doing their duties, how will you help change their attitude? Discuss. (200 Words)
Topic: Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions;
9) Has India come to accept violence as part of its societal feature? In the light of increasing violence against vulnerable sections of the society, critically comment. (200 Words)