[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 09 May 2015
09 May 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
Click on EACH question to post/read answers.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
1) Unlike other developing economies, the Indian growth story has been led by services-sector growth which is now in double digits. Compare India’s services sector growth, trade and trend with that os world’s in recent years. (200 Words)
Economic Survey, Volume – II, Chapter – 7
Topic: changes in critical geographical features
Economic Survey, Volume – II, Chapter – 8
General Studies – 2
Topic: mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of vulnerable sections.
4) It is argued that a properly crafted universal pension scheme will increase the coverage of pension without putting stress on government finances. Critically examine the need for such a scheme and feasibility of making it universal. (200 Words)
Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education, Human Resources.
5) Recently a review committee constituted by the government in 2014 suggested that there is a need for restructuring and reforming the University Grants Commission (UGC). In your opinion, what reforms does UGC require to ensure quality higher education in India? In the light of the committees recommendations, critically analyse. (200 Words)
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
6) “India’s ability to be a pivotal power in Asia is contingent on the restoration of the strategic and economic unity of the subcontinent: both to its west with Pakistan and Afghanistan and to its east with Bangladesh and Burma.” Elaborate. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: issues relating to intellectual property rights
7) Ten years have passed since the Indian Patents Act, 1970 was amended in 2005 to bring the country’s laws in line with the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). Critically discuss its salient features and their role in making India the “Pharmacy of the Third World”. (200 Words)
Topic: Disaster Management
General Studies – 4
Topic: role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
9) Raju failed to pass SSLC exam. His parents wanted him to pass this exam at any cost. Raju did work hard. He went for tuitions early in the morning a whole year and took lessons from good coaching institutions. Raju’s mother who works as teacher also made him study till late night every day. When his result came, Raju’s parents were disappointed and shocked. Neighbours’ and relatives’ children all had passed the exam with distinction. In a fit of rage, Raju’s mother scolded him for ‘ruining the family name.’ Raju, a good and sensitive boy, wrote a suicide note and tried to kill himself by jumping into a lake in the city. Fortunately someone saw him jumping and rescued him.
Topic: Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
10) In many cases, the quality of public assets is poor which in turn is a result of corruption. Give such examples from your experience, explain the reasons for their poor quality and suggest what should be done to ensure qualitative and durable work is done by public agencies. (200 Words)