Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
26 February 2015
If facing problem in loading of Disqus Comments, please clear Cache and Cookies in your Browser and then reload the page. This will solve the problem. Alternatively you can open the page in ‘incognito/safe browsing mode‘.
A timetable for studying NCERT and other static parts of the syllabus will be posted today by 8 pm. This new exercise will start from March 1st. You can cover all static parts (Art, Culture, History – India and World, Geography related topics, Polity and Economy topics) from both Prelims and Mains perspective during next Five months.
General Studies – 1;
Topic: geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps)
1) Recently efforts have been made to bring the mythical Saraswati river to the surface by the Haryana government and the Union government. What are the possible reasons for the disappearance of this river if it existed in ancient times and what is your opinion on efforts made to revive the river. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: responsibilities of the Union and the States; Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
2) The promise of offering freebies to people by political parties if they are voted to power is now a common feature during elections in India. What is your opinion on this issue? Do you think such promises are against the principles of democracy? Also examine what would be the effect on economy if such promised freebies are given to people. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian Constitution- significant provisions and basic structure; Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability
3) “Section 66A of the Information Technology Act is a necessary deterrent and can not be cast away on the apprehension that it would be misused to affect the freedom of speech and expression.” Do you agree with this view? Critically comment. (200 Words)
General Studies – 3
Topic: Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
4) In the light of growing competition and growing investor interest in e-commerce in India, many feel it is high time that the regulatory regime was simplified to allow free play to e-commerce. In this regard, examine the constraints faced by e-commerce industry and how liberalization of this sector would help Indian economy. (200 Words)
Topic: Science and Technology- developments
5) Independent India was founded and has developed largely by making friends with science but in recent years Science, Technology, Agriculture and Medicine (STEAM) have been neglected and this negligence has cost dearly the nation. Who should take the blame and why for this negligence? What measures are needed to address this issue? Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers,
Topic: Security issue – Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
7) “The West’s war against terrorism is definitely not a war against – or a confrontation with – Islam as such, but a war against Islamic radicalism, the ideology it is promoting, the initiatives it has launched and the terrorism it is trying to expand in different parts of the world.” Critically comment why various strategies to fight terrorism are increasingly failing and examine what long-term plan is needed to arrest the rise of radicalism that’s spreading fear across the world. (200 Words)
Topic: Achievements of Indians in science & technology
8) How does a membrane based typical water purifier work? What are its components? Also examine latest technologies developed in water purification methods, especially by Indian scientists. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values; social influence and persuasion;
9) It is widely established beyond doubt that smoking is injurious to health and regular smokers die sooner than non-smokers. Some people, for example, a parent smokes at home knowing that it is harmful to family members too. Others smoke in public places causing problem to the public. Governments try to warn public of dangers of smoking through advertisements and warning messages.
Do you think an individual should be allowed to smoke wherever he wants because it’s his right? If you have a roommate and a close friend who is addicted to smoking, how will you stop him from smoking? Explain. (200 Words)