[Insights Secure – 2015] UPSC Mains Questions on Current Events: 17 February 2015
- February 17, 2015
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: Secure - 2015
17 February 2015
General Studies – 1;
Topic: political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.- their forms and effect on the society
1) “Capitalism expands material well-being by replacing existing technologies, products and business methods with superior substitutes. Though this initially disrupts established industries and communities, it is the main engine of economic progress.” In the light of this statement, discuss the costs of capitalism, and examine if these costs are worth bearing in pursuit of economic progress through capitalism. (200 Words)
Topic: urbanization, their problems and their remedies
2) Plastic, the major municipal solid waste, is posing big threat to world’s water bodies. Examine the magnitude of pollution caused by plastic and remedies to address adverse effects caused by its dumping. (200 Words)
General Studies – 2
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
3) Analyse why having good relations with Sri Lanka is important for India from security point of view. In this regard, examine what efforts have been made by India to forge strong relationship with Sri Lanka in recent months. (200 Words)
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
General Studies – 3
Topic: Government Budgeting.
5) “India’s annual budget is first a macroeconomic exercise and then a micro one catering to sectors of the economy.” Elucidate and suggest what should be the priorities for government while presenting its annual budget. (200 Words)
The Hindu (Basically a General Question)
Topic: Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security;
6) Recently the recommendations of the High Level Committee (HLC) to restructure, reorient and reform the Food Corporation of India (FCI) was made public. Critically comment on its recommendations. (200 Words)
Topic: Infrastructure – Energy
7) “All in all, the hype and high prices of the ongoing auction of coal blocks post Supreme Court cancellation of previous allotments conceal the continuing problems of the coal sector.” Critically examine. (200 Words)
Topic: Infrastructure – Energy
8) India has a little over 3 GW of installed solar power capacity. In order to reach 100 GW, the solar sector has to match ambition with speed, scale and skill. Examine the factors that determine this speed, scale and skill, and explain how to improve them. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian economy – growth
9) What are the salient features of Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA)? Some defence analysts think that India should focus on its joint project to develop FGFAs with Russia than buying them from foreign countries. Critically discuss why. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Next story Insights Daily Current Events, 17 February 2015
- Previous story 10) “I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.” – Tagore. What do you understand by the statement and how do you relate this statement in public administration? Discuss.