12 January 2015
Tomorrow’s Topic for GS-1: India Physical Environment, Class XI – Unit Four
Please CLICK on the QUESTIONS to post your answers. They open in a new window/tab.
General Studies – 1
Topic: History of the world will include events from 18th century…
Topic: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
2) Critically discuss why Mahatma Gandhiji wanted to identify himself with ordinary Indians on his return from South Africa and, the factors that enabled him to become popular among masses and unite them for the cause of freedom struggle. (200 Words)
Topic: Salient features of world’s physical geography
Topic: Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent); also Paper-3 – Conservation
Topic: Important Geophysical phenomena, geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features and the effects of such changes.
General Studies – 2
Topic: India and its neighborhood- relations.
Topic: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
General Studies – 3
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning; Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
8) What do you understand by Gross National Happiness (GNH) index? Examine the qualitative and quantitative indicators adopted to measure this index. Also examine why India’s rank in GNH index is low compared to some of its neighbours. (200 Words)
Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to growth, development
9) Enumerate the advantages and disadvantages of decreasing Brent crude price for India. Also examine why the prices of petroleum and diesel in India have not been reduced proportionately to that of reduced global crude prices. (200 Words)
Topic: mobilization of resources; Effects of liberalization on the economy
10) Sometimes the governments rely on public sector undertakings (PSUs) to mobilize resources. In the light of post economic liberalization that took place in early nineties and its effect on PSUs in India, analyse if government’s reliance on PSUs is a right step forward in mobilizing resources. (200 Words)
Topic: Awareness in the fields of robotics
11) In recent months the use of private drones is on the rise across the world. Some governments and city administrations are mulling over regulating flying of such private drones citing security risks. Critically examine what security risks and challenges these drones pose and how they can be regulated without infringing rights of individuals. (200 Words)
General Studies – 4
Topic: Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
You are working as Executive Officer (also Block Development Officer). You are told that many Panchayat Development Officers (PDOs) who are working under you at panchayat level are not delivering services within time despite there being penalty for delaying the service delivery. They are ready to pay the penalty. You come to know that some of them receive bribe and pay the same as penalty. You are told that PDOs have been driven to taking bribes due to pressure mounted by elected members of panchayat who want some share in it. When you enquire few PDOs, they tell you that panchayat members are the ones who are acting as stumbling blocks by demanding bribe from them for delivery of each service such as releasing of payment for beneficiary of Indira Awas Yojana etc. They tell you that because they can not pay bribe from the salary money, they delay services to people and make them pay the bribe. You realize that things are more complicated than you had thought of.