16 December 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) The world has already warmed by almost one degree Celsius since the Industrial Revolution. Do you think the target of 2 Degree Celsius which is set as upper limit for the warming planet ( above the global average temperature at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution) is stringent enough? Also examine on what basis the upper limit of 2 Degree Celsius has been kept as target.
2) How do oil spills in oceans cause ecological damage? If a major oil spill occurs near Sundarbans region, what will be its political and ecological consequences? Critically examine.
3) What attributes define a ‘Smart City’ concept? Examine.
4) The finance ministry has finalised a proposal for a model bilateral investment treaty to replace the current Bipa (bilateral investment protection agreement). Examine its features.
5) Analyse the recent trends in growth of information technology industry in India. Do you think India is losing its edge over other competitors in IT sector? Examine.
6) Recently India sought to revisit the U.N. General Assembly (UNGA) Resolution 2832 (XXVI) declaring the Indian Ocean as a zone of peace. Critically examine why especially in the light of changed geopolitical realities post- Cold War.
7) Critically analyse the negative impacts of hydroelectric projects in the Himalayan regions.
8) Internationalisation of higher education is called upon to benefit local students and help develop innovative skills. In this regard, critically examine the challenges that India faces in internationalising its higher education sector and why it is necessary to internationalise.