11 December 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) A recent study estimated that 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic, large and small, weighing 269,000 tons, could be found throughout the world’s oceans, even in the most remote reaches. Critically examine their sources, their effect on environment and marine life, and how this issue can be addressed.
2) India’s import reliance for meeting edible oil requirement is at 65 per cent and is increasing. Examine why import of edible oil is increasing and why it should be a cause for worry.
3) Songdo International Business District, 40 miles Southwest of Seoul, is called as world’s smartest city. Critically comment on its features and examine if it’s possible to replicate such model in India.
4) Critically discuss the Internet’s contribution to social, economic and political progress of a nation. In a recent Web Index on internet’s contribution released by the World Wide Web Foundation, India was ranked last among BRICS countries. Examine why.
5) Critically analyse the benefits that India would reap if it resolves its border problem with Bangladesh.
6) “India has landed its fertiliser sector in a mess.” Critically discuss the problems faced by the fertilizer industry, the effects of India’s fertilizer subsidy policy and measures needed to reform the industry.
7) “The enforcers of women’s honour are not only Khap Panchayats, but also men in middleand upper middle class households.” In the light of increasing violence against women and violations of their rights, critically comment on the statement.
8) Write a critical note on human rights problems in India and the role of National Human Rights Commission in safeguarding these rights.