09 December 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) Examine, in the light of latest findings, what makes Mars a more habitable planet in the opinion of space scientists?
2) Many of the central government schemes faced various problems, especially related to their implementation and sharing of funds between centre and states. Examine these problems in detail and suggest what should be the role of state governments in the implementation of central schemes.
3) What do you understand by Conditional cash transfers (CCTs) and Unconditional cash transfer (UCT)? Which one suits India better? Examine.
4) Critically analyse why some of the strategies adopted by the union and state governments have not been successful in tackling Left Wing Extremism.
5) How do state governments mobilize their resources for taking up development activities and managing other finances? Do you think it’s possible for an Indian state to completely generate its own resources without depending on the central government for assistance? Examine.
6) In the light on ongoing debate on replacing the Planning Commission, examine what role the Finance Commission might play.
7) Write a short note on Green diesel and its applications
8) What do you understand by DNA sequencing? Explain its applications.
9) What are the characteristics of a ‘middle class’ family in the Indian context? In a recent survey it is found there is a massive expansion of middle class families is going on in India. Critically examine its consequences.
10) Write a note on the importance of India’s recently launched communication satellite GSAT-16.