03 November 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) “The Planning Commission’s importance gradually reduced over the years as India moved from a Soviet-style controlled economy to a more market-driven one.” Comment.
2) Analyse the effect of falling crude prices on various stakeholders in the Indian economy.
3) Examine the various ways through which financial literacy can be imparted to rural people effectively. Also explain the importance of financial literacy for women in India.
4) “Possibly the biggest reform to have transpired since the Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices (MRTP) Act was scrapped in 1991 was the October (2014) privatisation of India’s coal sector.” Analyse.
5) Recently the union government decided to cancel the current selection process of chairmen and managing directors (CMDs), and executive directors (EDs) of Public Sector Banks. Examine why and explain its implications.
6) “In many ways, 1984 was among the darkest years of the Indian republic.” Critically comment.
7) Explain the principle behind SONAR (Sound Navigation and Ranging) and why is it useful for navies? Examine India’s achievement in developing indigenous SONARs.
8) Write a note on air-independent propulsion (AIP) system developed by DRDO for Scorpene submarines.
9) It is argued that the locus of growth and development in India should shift to metropolitan clusters. Examine why.
10) “In India, the fact is that there is no professional expertise in the Municipal Corporation to keep the city clean.” In the light of recent mass campaign to clean India, critically comment.