[UPSC MAINS-2014] Insights Secure Questions on Current Events – 04 October 2014
- October 4, 2014
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: SECURE-2014
04 October 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) The union government wants to regulate commercial surrogacy to address concerns raised by few sections of the society. Examine these concerns, their causes and government’s efforts to address these concerns.
2) “Though India and Russia enjoy good relations, there is a need to step up people to people contact between two countries.” Comment.
3) Lately there is lot of criticism and call for regulation against electronic media and their way of functioning. Critically examine the issues involved and is there a call for regulation.
4) In a recent report, UN-ESCAP has revealed that there has been an increase in income inequality in many major economies including India, China and Indonesia. Analyse the causes and remedies.
5) Unlike during post-Independence years, at present, functional social movements in India have largely dwindled. Critically examine the reasons behind this development and the new medium of social change in India.
6) Critically examine the role played by the British in aiding and spreading communalism in India in pre-independence years.
7) “Invasive hitchhiker species constitute ‘one of the most significant threats to the marine environment in modern times.’ ” Examine.
8) Write a note on Convention on the Control and Management of Ships’ Ballast Water and Sediments
9) The Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons still remains a tough challenge to achieve. Examine the efforts made and obstacles being faced towards reaching this goal.
10)”India is widely recognised as the pharmacy of the developing world thanks to its generic drugs manufacturing sector. Yet, ironically, it often fails to provide necessary drugs to its own population.” Critically discuss the reasons behind this paradox and what needs to be done to address the problem of inaccessibility of essential drugs to common man.
11) The Sections 4 and 6(2) of the Right to Information (RTI) Act, 2005, have caused controversy in recent days thanks to ruling by courts. Critically comment on the importance and controversy surrounding these Sections of the RTI Act.