[UPSC MAINS-2014] Insights Secure: Questions on Current Events, 25 September 2014
- September 25, 2014
- Posted by: INSIGHTS
- Category: SECURE-2014
25 September 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words:
1) In the light of the recent judgement by the Supreme Court of India cancelling coal block allocation to private and public companies, critically examine the causes and consequences of this judgement.
2) Some critics have questioned intentions behind India’s expensive space missions when millions of its population is poor and hungry. Do you support this criticism? Explain why.
3) “Europe represents today the greatest risk for the global economy, and developments there need to be watched very closely in the months ahead, as they could well create another drag on the global economy.” Examine.
4) “The political ascendancy of individuals from traditionally marginalised groups has been viewed as a large enough flux that it is believed to have either reversed, or certainly flattened, the centuries-old traditional caste hierarchies.” Do you agree with this assessment? Critically comment.
5) India’s recent success in its maiden Mars mission is a result of technology denial to India by the West. Examine.
6) The connections between capitalist development and the growth of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere are very clear. Critically comment.
7) War used to be fought primarily in uniform, on battlefields, by soldiers of national armies, a generation ago. Today, wars are waged by and target non-state actors and civilians. Critically discuss.
8) In the light of ongoing conflicts, discuss how the principle of Responsibility to Protect has been used by the United Nations and the international community.