03 April 2014
Answer ALL the following questions in about 200 words
1. Examine the health risks of open defecation. In your opinion, what are the reasons behind continuing practice of open defecation in India? What concrete measures would you suggest to the government and people to stop this practice? Comment.
2. A key determinant of the role of the states in a federal polity is their participation in the formulation and implementation of critical economic plans. Do you think India’s Planning Commission is truly federal in its nature and functioning? Examine what needs to be done.
3. In India, access to adequate public services is still severely lacking. What are the reasons behind this? Comment.
4. Discuss important recent developments in bilateral relations between India and Bangladesh. Are they mutually beneficial? Comment.
5. “China cannot copy the political system or development model of other countries because it would not fit us and it might even lead to catastrophic consequences.” Do you agree with this statement? Substantiate.
6. Explain India’s position vis a vis Israel-Palestine conflict. In recent years India has grown closer to Israel because of commercial interests. Do you think India is right in having closer relations with Israel? Comment.
7. Should armed forces be allowed to vote in general elections as general voters in peace stations? Examine the problems associated with such a move and offer solutions.
8. In India, the National Design Policy, announced in 2007, has not sufficiently focussed on socially useful products. Identify the areas where creative, affordable, enduring and useful public structures are much needed in India and comment on the existing architecture built by government funds in rural and urban regions.
9. Write a note on Takaful Insurance of Africa which was in news recently.