31 March 2014
Answer ALL the questions in about 200 words
1. “That disinvestment remains entirely a political decision – and not a decision taken by a disinvestment commission, such as in some of India’s neighbours or in countries like Mexico – is part of the problem. Yet, even if the decision is depoliticised, problems will remain.” In the light of this statement, analyze the problems associated with disinvestment of PSUs in India and suggest measures overcome these problems.
2. What are the implications on the economy of RBI’s intervention in the foreign exchange market? Examine.
3. Examine the possible effects of Ukraine crisis on the economies of emerging markets.
4. Discuss about the kind of interventions needed by the government to improve the quality of air in Indian cities.
5. In your opinion, was India right in abstaining from voting on a United States sponsored resolution in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) against Sri Lanka for an international probe into alleged rights violations in the last leg of the civil war? Critically comment.
6. Why does India need a neutrino observatory? Explain its importance.